Nothing Special, But Scratched One Itch Today. Only to Aggravate Another One

mikie

I've had this 1943 canteen for a while and picked up the 1943 cover a bit later.  But it has been a mild annoyance that I didn't have a 1943 cup to complete the set.  I found one today at an antique shop so that itch has finally ben scratched. I have a 1943 belt somewhere that I'll need to dig out. The cup was in a canteenless cover but I couldn't read the date on it.  No matter, it was the cup I wanted. 

1943 Canteen Set.jpg

I finally got around to digging out the old video camera and took a look at the cover.  It's dated 1941.  So now I have a new itch to make up a 1941 set.  I did some poking around here about 1941 canteens and see that affording one of those isn't gonna happen this side of winning the lottery.  Guess I'll start searching for a 1941 cup and team them up with a WWI canteen.  

Just a wild guess, but is the reason they made so few 1941 canteens is that they had plenty of old ones in stock, but needed more of the cups and covers?  

Mikie 

1941 Canteen Cover.jpg

General Apathy
12 hours ago, mikie said:

Guess I'll start searching for a 1941 cup and team them up with a WWI canteen.  

Mikie 

1941 Canteen Cover.jpg

Mikie dear boy,  methinks it looks like you may have grown into a collector , ' Wah, I want one of everything ' . . . . . . :lol: :lol:

lewis 

Mikie, I know what you are going through.  May I suggest you reignite your 1943 itch by searching for a nice first aid pouch or .45 magazine pouch to round things out. Meanwhile you can pursue that elusive lottery victory to provide for that 1941 canteen. 🙂

Rene

A collector? Noooooo!!!!  I really don't need any encouragement to get an itch. I've still got a few.  Just wish I had enough "scratch" to scratch them all.

Mikie

• 1 month later...

I found a 1941 dated cup to go with the cover. And wouldn't you know, it came with a 1965 dated canteen. Now I've got to hunt a 1965 cup and cover. Oh the fun never ends! 

Mikie

• 1 year later...

My latest circus is looking for a 1969 dated canteen, pouch and cup.  They are to go along with a 1969 dated belt and mag pouch I picked up cheap at a flea market a couple of weeks ago.

Oh the fun never ends! 

Mikie