Saddle markings

hink441

I recently purchased this saddle. I know very little about these saddles and I have a question. 

This saddle is marked “ 1 CAV NGA  D 39”. 

I think this could be from 1st CAV Alabama National Guard Co. D roster number 39. The seller also thought the same. Does this guess seem right?

Any other info or comments about this saddle would really be appreciated. I paid $99 bucks for this saddle and I really don’t know if i did okay or not. 

Thank you for looking. 

Chris

1761361C-990A-4786-A634-5C20E8C76E7F.jpeg

3E9FD22E-4512-46FA-BF73-F0F0B13CAC95.jpeg

410A5DA7-FAEF-44C1-BFC9-8EE8185645C4.jpeg

F463BE13-BE2A-42CE-A940-9161D1D76E83.jpeg

9B2510B3-DBB6-40BB-9370-9490F14E8A30.jpeg

Chris, I would agree on that assumption for the stamping, however you can never be 100% certain, most were stamped at a company level to curb shrinkage and theft from other units.

This is a seat of a m1904 saddle, the standard ww1 period saddle that was replaced by the model m1928. You would need the quarter strapping, safes, stirrups and stirrup leathers along with girth to put it together. I assume it survived because of its stamping.

I have been collecting saddles and horse gear for 30 years now and it is a deep rabbit hole, but my advice is to purchase condition and study markings and models.

there are a couple of good books to help, The American military saddle by Mcpheeters is one he has a cool website also.

Cheers,

Mitch

Mitch thank you for your response and your advice. I will look into the McPheeter’s book. 

I think I would like to at least make this one cleaned up and more presentable but not complete. I don’t think this is a good candidate for a total re-construction because the saddle is in a somewhat rough condition. 

How common are Cavalry marked saddles? I would think they are out there and should be able to find a better example. I just stumbled across this one and had to get it because of the markings. 

Chris,

many of us collect specific models first, condition and original. finding one that is marked to a specific unit you collect is of course a plus. I specifically collect 2nd cav from ww1 time period, in 30 years I have never seen one, in fact I don't think I have ever seen an attributed AEF Cavalry verified saddle, most of what you come across are NG like yours, sold at auction back in the day when armories closed. I have a few remount marked saddles and HQ's that an officer had acquired. But I would bet there is someone who collects that specific unit that would go nuts for it.

Its a great hobby...but a deep deep rabbit hole. Canteens are much smaller lol.