Alexandria, VA Civil Defense?

MinorInHistory

MinorInHistory

Hello everyone!

I recently purchased a CD helmet that was marked Alexandria, VA. Does anyone know anything about the civil defense or military presence in the city? Apart from Fort Belvoir I’m pretty clueless on the topic.

Thanks,

MinorInHistory

• 2 years later...
On 1/9/2021 at 11:21 AM, MinorInHistory said:

Hello everyone!

I recently purchased a CD helmet that was marked Alexandria, VA. Does anyone know anything about the civil defense or military presence in the city? Apart from Fort Belvoir I’m pretty clueless on the topic.

Thanks,

MinorInHistory

I grew up in Alexandria, Va. Went to Mt. Vernon High School. I worked at the Ft Belvoir Commissary, gas station and the OCS mess halls as a student. The only other military installation I know of is the Torpedo Factory in "Old Town" Alexandria, on the water. It is now a huge art center where many artists have studios and sell their art work. During WW2 it made torpedos for the war effort. I wonder if there are still torpedos hanging from the ceiling in the mall area?

Cameron Station off of Duke St. In Alexandria closed during a drawdown of bases in the 1990's.

It's a housing development now. I was stationed there from 1976-1983.

MinorInHistory
2 hours ago, VNAMVET70 said:

I grew up in Alexandria, Va. Went to Mt. Vernon High School. I worked at the Ft Belvoir Commissary, gas station and the OCS mess halls as a student. The only other military installation I know of is the Torpedo Factory in "Old Town" Alexandria, on the water. It is now a huge art center where many artists have studios and sell their art work. During WW2 it made torpedos for the war effort. I wonder if there are still torpedos hanging from the ceiling in the mall area?

That’s funny, I’m very familiar with Mount Vernon HS, I live pretty close and compete against them occasionally for school. The torpedo factory still is an art center and does have the torpedos, though they are now on the floor. As a matter of fact they have a pretty nice display case in the main area with some cool artifacts from the factory during the war.