DIY $10 photo studio

Awesome!!!!!! I think this is exactly what I have been looking for.. thumbsup.gif Thanks

There is only one tactical principle not subject to change, That is, to use the means at hand to inflict the most wounds, Death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimal amount of time possible. Gen G.S. Patton jr.

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares, often do the plowing for those who did not."

"Good one" counts as a post too.

donation2007.gifdonation2009.gif

I made one tonight, all I could find was white poster board, so you can see the edges at the bottom in the back. I am going shopping on Thur. and find a roll of butcher paper, I think it would do better as far as letting the light filter through. Here are a couple of pics. I took, just messing around. I can tell you, these are great photos, compared to most I take!!

helmet.jpg

medals.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif
donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gif

Always looking for 70th Division(The Trailblazers) items or photos.

I have never made one of these before like this but have used light boxes and light tables before. This seems to be a great, cheap alternative to a light box tho. Butcher paperis probably what I would use as well for the seamless background but the top and sides I would for sure use tissue. Good light diffusion that way. Thanks for the link.

Activly Selling All Items

All eras

VERY interested in M1 helmets, WWI victory medals, and I will do almost anything for real SOG gear or uniforms.

Email or PM with offers please.

Needing; Pin back CIB, two piece CIB, ANy odd CIB's, 41st Infantry Regiment DUI (old ones), 65th AFAB DUI

Please visit my website at DM1975.com

donation2007.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

I do exactly the same with my items, and it's always beautiful with white bottom I think !

IMG_6498.JPG Original pictures with paper sheet

and after that I use programs like "paint.net" or "Photoshop CS4" to add white bottom, it looks like this ;

IMG_6500.JPG

The only problem, is reflet on lens, but not choice... see by yourself ;

IMG_6497.JPG

For that, I've no solution... :thumbdown: :crying:

"As you know, you go to war with the Army you have. They're not the Army you might want or wish to have at a later time. You can have all the armor in the world on a tank and it can (still) be blown up..." - Donald Rumsfeld (Camp Buehring, KU - Dec. 8, 2004)

See my current collection of desert SSI HERE
See my current collection of Badges (ranks, qualification badges, Branch of Service - from WW2 to present) HERE
See my files in PDF on scribd.com HERE
See my collection of jackets HERE

For those who don't feel like making there own light box, here is a good deal on a commercial one:

http://www.meritline.com/one-shot-photo-st...---p-43483.aspx

At the time of this posting it's 39.99 with free shipping, but the company frequently places them on sale for $10 off.

Bill

Looking for older Virginia Military Institute items: insignia, uniforms, cadet sabers, documents, and groupings belonging to VMI alumni.

Also interested in Virginia Reserve Militia (VRM) uniforms and insignia, or other items of general Virginia interest.

Interesting. There's also some on sale on ebay ($20 buy it now) ;

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksi...-All-Categories

But problem is that it looks to be small. I think you can only take in picture patches, or helmet, but it's not functionnal for uniform or bigger items.

"As you know, you go to war with the Army you have. They're not the Army you might want or wish to have at a later time. You can have all the armor in the world on a tank and it can (still) be blown up..." - Donald Rumsfeld (Camp Buehring, KU - Dec. 8, 2004)

See my current collection of desert SSI HERE
See my current collection of Badges (ranks, qualification badges, Branch of Service - from WW2 to present) HERE
See my files in PDF on scribd.com HERE
See my collection of jackets HERE

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

This thread has been really helpful as I have no experience in photography. However, I'm finding that the house is now full of those CFL bulbs and everything is so dim. Aside from sunny days outside, what is a good light source I could buy to use as a flash/strobe? And do I have to hook that to the camera, or can I just leave them turned on like a light?

Or is purchasing two small clip-on desk lamps with 75 watt incandescent bulbs the way to go?

Looking for EXPERIMENTAL & PROTOTYPE HELMETS

This thread has been really helpful as I have no experience in photography. However, I'm finding that the house is now full of those CFL bulbs and everything is so dim. Aside from sunny days outside, what is a good light source I could buy to use as a flash/strobe? And do I have to hook that to the camera, or can I just leave them turned on like a light?

Or is purchasing two small clip-on desk lamps with 75 watt incandescent bulbs the way to go?

I think part of your answer lies in the size of the object that you would like to photograph. If you are looking at photographing medals, then you could use a couple of desklamps. You just have to be able to position them to best illuminate the object. You also can find color corrected light bulbs for this type of fixture. If you are photographing a larger item such as a uniform, I like to use a color corrected painters light similar to those used by house painters. You can find different sizes and it allows you to move the light to reduce the shadows.

As far as using a flash, I prefer not to, if possible as it can wash out the detail of the object. However, you can also create your own filter that will allow you to use the flash if necessary. There is thread here on the forum about using gauze or another material to creat the filter. If I can find it, I'll post it.

Good luck and look forward to seeing your efforts!

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

View my website honoring the men and women of Indiana: http://indianavets.wix.com/indiana-at-war and follow my updates on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/IndianaModernAgeofWar/
Interested in US uniforms? Join the Association of American Military Uniform Collectors! http://aamuc.org/or find us on Facebook! facebook.com/AAMUC.ORG

My wife bought me an elaborate portable studio system like this for Christmas about 3 years ago. It opens like a tent, comes with portable lights on small tripods, different colored backdrops everything you’d need. It’s sat in the closet right where I put it after looking inside the box and hasn’t moved ever since. It was a nice idea (and I feel bad that she knows I’ve never even tried to set it up once) but the thing would take quite a while to set up and break down and I just don’t need to do that. Usually I take photos of things in the same ways already shown here and it works out just fine. I bring this up because it’s a temptation to get the gee-whiz setups like that, but you need to think about how often you’d use anything like that. Just go to a good camera store and you’ll find plenty of cool gadgets like that for sale from previous owners that never got used. There’s a reason for that.

Lee Bishop Formerly known as "Ratchet 5" with the 2nd Infantry Division (yes, in REAL life)

US WW2 War Correspondent collector

I throw a white sheet on the sofa, turn on the lamp & open the blinds. For close-up shots, I use the macro setting on my camera & use plenty of light. Costs me nothing.

"I fear all we have done was to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve". Vice Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Number of defenseless people rounded up & exterminated in the 20th century because of gun control: 56 MILLION!

• 2 years later...