HGU-33 from VMAQ-2

horridohutch

horridohutch

Earlier this week I posted a helmet and it arrived midweek, took some of my own pictures to share here with the forum. Very happy to have found this helmet and add it to my hoard. Form fit leather liner, EEK visor, camo cover and MBU-14... other than the missing velcro for the strobe, does it get much better? Helmet is from the mid to late 80s, I have seen one from a VMAQ-2 shipmate page that is taped the same but is a -34.... the man who flew with it says it was his from the mid 80s. The mask is dated 89/90/91 with the indicator dots at 89... very interesting helmet and the possibilities are endless as to its journey. The camo cover is what really, for me sets it apart. The mask has a name  albeit very faint, possibly scrubbed off.  STURGIS. The name was recognized by the squadron members but not able to really nail it down. I think it was a pilots helmet, NAVAIR states that it is an optional configuration. This rather then the ECMO... but who knows? As you can see.. this is a fleet used helmet and shows all the wear from many hours flying. I love these helmets in this condition...

Copy (1) of IMG_2064~photo.JPEG

Copy (1) of IMG_2065~photo.JPEG

Copy (1) of IMG_2066~photo.JPEG

Copy (1) of IMG_2067~photo.JPEG

Copy (1) of IMG_2068~photo.JPEG

Copy (1) of IMG_2069~photo.JPEG

Copy (1) of IMG_2070~photo.JPEG

Copy (1) of IMG_2071~photo.JPEG

Great looking helmet. A friend of mine has one he picked up probably 25 yrs ago that it is identical to yours,  except that his has no bunny head.

Splendid VMAQ-2 Prowler driver's helmet, as I expected it to be when l replied to your previous thread.
Thank you for the good quality pictures, they really show justice to the gorgeous tape job and the lovely patina.
The Woodland fabric cover is a real bonus, typical of the USMC.

I was still hesitating wether it was a late "Playboys" or early "Panthers" era shell, but after further thinking and seeing the mask's datation, it might very well be both.
In my opinion, the presence of the Playboy Bunny and -what most of the forum members said to be- a Panther silhouette taped over the Prowler on the sides could suggest that the aviator was flying with VMAQ-2 when he was issued this mask (1989) -that's late "Playboys" era, therefore he taped his shell in the "Playboys" / USMC colors (yellow + red + bunny head). After what the black Panther would have been taped over the Prowler silhouette during the transitional period in which the squadron changed its name (1993). That would make sense.

Anyway, great score for an awesome set ! I'm envious ;)
- Gauthier

Subsidiary question : Are the earcups removable (fixed with velcro) ? I have very similar ones fitted on my PACAF (67th FS) HGU-26 helmet from the mid 80's that raised a few interrogations, and I was hoping to know more about those on your helmet (and if present : label, MFG date, manufacturer). Thanks in advance !

Hey Vark ..Subsidiary question : Are the earcups removable (fixed with velcro) ? I have very similar ones fitted on my PACAF (67th FS) HGU-26 helmet from the mid 80's that raised a few interrogations, and I was hoping to know more about those on your helmet (and if present : label, MFG date, manufacturer). Thanks in advance !

Yes they are velcroed ino!

• 10 months later...

Found today an auction from which I thought interesting to share some pictures : look at this sister helmet !!

In pretty rough condition compared to your set, but definitely from the same period / cruise.

vmaq-2.jpg.a17ea9a62c238d1b9de3bfeeb0f9f3c3.jpg

FlightGearSTL
On 11/23/2021 at 1:32 PM, Vark_07 said:

Found today an auction from which I thought interesting to share some pictures : look at this sister helmet !!

In pretty rough condition compared to your set, but definitely from the same period / cruise.

vmaq-2.jpg.a17ea9a62c238d1b9de3bfeeb0f9f3c3.jpg

I know the winner of this one. Cool to see a couple around!

I know him too, we are in touch thanks to the same FB flight gear group, I guess the world is a small place after all !

I hope he'll post it here (or allow us to do so) as soon as he's refurbished it, sure there's some work to do to the inside, but I'm positive it will display nicely when it's done.

The black panther image is an homage to the “Prowler” logo. A few images of Q-2 Prowlers have the panther motif on the large panels on either side of the radome. I’ll see if I have any photos saved.

Semper,

Ski