M1 Helmet and Liner Question

reapp

Hello Forum,  Hope everyone is doing well during these crazy times.  This is part of a collection of helmets which I inherited, and I was hoping that someone could offer some helpful information.  It is a front seam, swivel bail covered helmet which has a puzzling addition.   The inner liner has the requisite front two holes at the forehead area, but it has been adapted to include two additional holes of the same size directly above the original holes.   They were just punched through.  I believe that they were utilized to connect something to the liner, as the outline of something which preserved the original finish is present.  The outlined area is a narrow rectangular spot that measures approximately 1" x 9".    Can someone tell me what this was for, as well as any other general information?   I don't know much about these things, and would appreciate any help!

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

To me it looks like a post WWII war games comb that where affixed to helmet liners. I know there is mention of these here on the forum and I'm sure if you did a search it could be found.

Ken