Recent surplus find

5thrangerson

5thrangerson

Last trip to the surplus store and this popped up out of a very small pile of helmets. Not the best but I am happy. Price was right too. When I first saw it I thought there was a layer of OD over all the crosses and the graffiti was on that. But the crosses and graffiti are all the top layer. Any thoughts on the white stripe in front? Appears to be a name on it but I can't make it out.

resized_DSCN2036b.JPG

resized_DSCN2037b.JPG

resized_DSCN2039b.JPG

resized_DSCN2044b.JPG

resized_DSCN2053b.JPG

resized_DSCN2054b.JPG

Was GI Joe still used during the Vietnam era? I agree that would make sense for the era. But most Nam helmets had covers. 

Love this helmet, could very well be nam graffiti or a hippie protester helmet ...im sure them hippies just used and abused whatever they could get there hands on...mike

On 1/10/2021 at 2:11 PM, 5thrangerson said:

Was GI Joe still used during the Vietnam era? I agree that would make sense for the era. But most Nam helmets had covers. 

Yes, it was still in the common vocabulary, helped somewhat by the introduction of 12 inch GI Joe figures from Hasbro in 1964.

In this case, it may have been a derogatory term, similar in sense to "tin soldier", or "mindless running dog stooge of the Capitalist Warmongers."

On 1/11/2021 at 11:58 AM, dmar836 said:

KW era helmet IMO. VN era graffiti IMO.

I agree..I have posted a KW era medic helmet from a AF vet. Mine I recall had a similar residue on the from from tape.