Recent finds OL 1942 Garand bayonet

5thrangerson

5thrangerson

One of three finds from an friend that is going through his fathers stuff. 1942 OL cut down bayonet. Can someone explain the grips that appear part brown and black. Black seems to have been applied over the brown??

resized_DSC00369b.JPG

resized_DSC00365b.JPG

resized_DSC00368b.JPG

resized_DSC00372b.JPG

resized_DSC00376b.JPG

resized_DSC00371b.JPG

5thrangerson- Those scales (grips) were originally found only on WT (Wilde Tool) bayonets in 1942-1943. They are not "correct" on any other manufacturers work. They are, however, very desireable and have good value! Someone with a WT bayo. without the original scales needs these!

The M1905 OL has the second lowest production figures in WWII. So this bayo is cut-down from one of those and is now an M1. It also has the early 1942 square fuller, soon to change to round a fuller. You don't show or mention whether the blade was configured to a spear point or bowie point. Bowie points appear to be more desireable.

Very nice artfact, indeed!

hyrax222

I agree with hyrax222. I have got several cut down bayonets with WT grips over the years, sometimes just on one side.

Consider yourself very lucky.

WT 43 bayos=crope.jpg

WT 43 grip=crope.jpg

Now that's what I'm talking about! I only saw 8-9 of these all last year. And, they were not all in this fine condition. Nice long false edge too.

hyrax222