Post-Vietnam Navy SEALS gear knives dive shirts shorts & more.

Bob Hudson

These items came from a retired SEAL officer, who was a platoon OIC in Vietnam. These are 70's and 80's gear and clothing, some nice, some salty. There are two salty life jackets from the 70's, one of them marked U.D.T. LIFE JACKET. These compact life jackets were a must have for sailors who made their living jumping into the water with gear that weighed more than an anchor. The combat swimmer navigation board may be an early model: I put that on a forum discussion about these so-called diver's Tac boards https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/352094-seal-udt-divers-navigation-tac-board/

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

There are two knives: one is a WWII  US Navy PAL RH 35 with original leather scabbard. There are some numbers stamped on the sheath: 0671. If that's a SEAL gear number? I know it's not the number for the guy who had all this gear, but it could be he got it from a previous owner. It is a salty knife.

0.jpg

2.jpg

This is the modern issue US Navy MK3 mod 0 diving/survival knife: I've read it was a favorite, in part because of a thin point they thought would break too easily (in a photo below I compare the Mk2 tip to the RH 35.

This knife is pretty clean but it was attached to a belt that clearly has had lots of salt water exposure.

2.jpg

1.jpg

comp.jpg

belt.jpg

10 minutes ago, Spike said:

That number might be that last 4 of a social security/serial number?

The Army used used last initial and last four of the service number using the last four is very uncommon in the Navy. I've see 3-digit seal "gear numbers" but not four.

1 minute ago, Bob Hudson said:

I've see 3-digit seal "gear numbers" but not four.

That is what made me think service/ss number.