US Navy H-4 pairing

Wayward Son

Wayward Son

Quick share of a couple of my favorites. The H-4 came out of an antique store in the Midwest. I really like the original tape job. The other H-4 was a garage find here in CA. It was in real rough shape shape when I got it, but it was complete with the original liner and all communications cords, mic and earphones. After a few days of cleanup, it turned out pretty well. It was during the cleanup that I found it was named "FAULRING." Unfortunately no first initial or other identifying information. 

20210103_142226 (1).jpg

20201231_155351.jpg

20201231_143114.jpg

mohawkALSE

Taped one does look cool.   Does the other one say ROB above the FAULRING and next to that Gentex decal?

That's a pair of beautiful helmets, for sure.
I particularly like the corroded green patina on both, gives them a lot of character (my preference goes to the taped one nonetheless 😁), great score !

Isn't the "FAULRING" shell another H-4 though ? From the pictures you've provided, the Gentex decal on the inner shell and label on the suspension straps both read "H-4 Medium".

Wayward Son
1 hour ago, mohawkALSE said:

Taped one does look cool.   Does the other one say ROB above the FAULRING and next to that Gentex decal?

I originally thought it was the initials of RUB, but it could very well be the first name ROB.

Wayward Son
1 hour ago, Vark_07 said:

Isn't the "FAULRING" shell another H-4 though ? From the pictures you've provided, the Gentex decal on the inner shell and label on the suspension straps both read "H-4 Medium".

Helmet marked H-4. All comms components marked H-3. My error in not clarifying. Had not finished the first cup of coffee yet.

Looks like another word after "Rob". It would be a little strange though in that it is written partially under the strap system. Considering the leather pad also, why would it be written on there? Was it retrofitted with a different suspension system after the name was written?

Dave 

• 2 months later...
Wayward Son

Quick update:

I was able to source a very nice pair of Rochester "USN" marked B-8's for one of my H-4's. I like the completed look. 🇺🇸

20210309_115454 (1).jpg

20210309_115332 (1).jpg