VIZ/WD scabbard with VIZ and WD scabbards.

Misfit 45

Hi folks,

I recently got an M5 bayonet with a VIZ/WD scabbard, both of which are in excellent condition.  You see these scabbards every once in a while, but it seems that most I see are pretty rough.

There is very little information about this scabbard or the WD scabbard.  Gary Cunnigham tells us that VIZ Manufacturing company had a 1969 contract for about 50,000 scabbards.

The working theory about the VIZ/WD scabbard is that WD contracted to make M8A1 scabbards and then bought left over parts from VIZ, and then added the WD to the VIZ name.  The more I compare the examples I have seen, the more I agree with the prevailing theory. 

In the photo of the VIZ and the VIZ/WD scabbards, their heritage seems apparent.  The font of the lettering is is identical and the spot welds look like they were made by the same method.  The photo of the VIZ/WD next to the WD scabbard, shows that these two scabbards were not made by the same company.  The font is different and there are no spot welds on the WD scabbard.

There is, however, a direct relationship relationship with the VIZ/WD scabbard and the WD scabbard that indicates that WD was the company that produced the VIZ/WD scabbard,  The photo of the back of the scabbards are of the VIZ/WD and the WD.  The photo reveals the ink DAS mark of the same size and in the same position.  (The ink DAS mark on the VPCo. scabbards of the early 60s, is much larger and positioned much higher on the scabbard body.)

I agree with the theory that WD added their name to the VIZ scabbard throat, and also put the ink DAS marks on some of the scabbard bodies as well. Some forum members have shown other WD scabbards with the ink DAS, so it is not unheard of, but seems to be uncommon.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Marv

resized_IMG_3050.JPG

resized_IMG_3051.JPG

resized_IMG_3053.JPG

Misfit45- I know little very about these scabbards. I do follow the posts on them as it is interesting. It is sleuths like yourself who ferret out these annomalies and bring them to light. 

We may never know the answer to these questions, but ain't it fun figuring it out!?

hyrax222

Keep in mind that VIZ also had a much earlier 1963 contract for M8A1 scabbards that has come to light since Gary Cunningham's research. I will bump my post about that. The theory that WD is the Working Disabled, a follow on name of the Penn. Working House for the Blind (PWH) is probably correct, so it is possible that VIZ could have passed on unfinished or excess pieces to WD. We really need more info on the 1963 VIZ contract, as that really impacts what we know about Vietnam era usage of the VIZ scabbards. I believe they are much more common than was previously thought.

Slufstuff,

You're right.  The earlier 1963 VIZ contract that no one knew about plays a vital role in the chronological history of these scabbards.  By the way, the "Working Blind" theory has been de-bunked, by Ralph Cobb who published an extensive article on the Work Home for the Blind, in the Society of American Bayonet Collectors' quarterly magazine.   They only changed their name one time to The Working Blind. 

I hope some of those 1963 VIZ scabbards become available again. I would love to have one in my collection. 

Marv

Very good work on this Slufstuff!

The federal archives contract summaries only go back to 1965, so did not include the 1963 period. Your VIZ example in the dated wrapper is conclusive. It also helps explain why we find more VIZ examples than the 1969 contract would seem to justify. Just goes to show that there is always more to learn.

There will be no SABC meeting in Baltimore this coming March. The next time SABC meets, I will plan a day to visit Temple University to look over the complete Kaufmann Report to see if there is anything in it that may shed further light on the Pennsylvania Working Home's scabbard assembly activity. I only have a dozen pages that the library worker thought were relevant and they will not copy the entire report for me, even if I pay them to do it.