SEAL UDT combat swimmer tactical navigation board

Bob Hudson

This tactical board was in a gear bag from a retired SEAL officer. It has a compass and depth gauge what I presume are holders for glow sticks to illuminate the instrument. There is some faded writing on it. When I lifted it out of the kit bag to photograph it, sand started pouring out of it! I don't know if the sand came from the Silver Strand where NSW trains in Coronado or from the Mekong Delta?

I cannot find a maker's name anywhere on this.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

3a.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

12 hours ago, Spike said:

Wouldn't have been used in VN.

So Silver Strand sand then? The depth guage is made by Princeton which makes dive watches, but this board appears to have been made by RJE which still produces combat swim boards. 

Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 8.36.23 AM.png

Those tubes are for chem lights which came in about 1977 so I would bet 1980's I will ask some of my friends about princeton 

Forgot to mention that they didn't have hollow boards until mid 80's, 1970's were solid plastic or poly covered ply wood.

Nice item. When my kids were in BUD's I stole as much of there stuff I could and threw it in a box figured Id give them a walk down memory lane in 20-30 years lol

This is a swim/navigation board I have had for probably 20 years. UDT 11 became SEAL Team 5 in 1983 so this was probably from the late 70's on. It's made of the same plastic material as Bob's is. Probably so it can be written on? There is no place to attach a chem light on this one.

Swim board 1.jpg

Swim board 2.jpg