Uniform air force of John B. Gillette

surdescharbonsardents

surdescharbonsardents

Good evening, I am looking for any help and any information concerning this lieutenant of the FAR EAST AIR FORCE.

Its number is 0-801872. Thank you in advance to everyone.

surdescharbonsardents

Well done WWIIinterviews. Great job. A big thank-you.

Do you know what type of plane he was flying. C

Cordially

huntssurplus

The article sounds like it could be him, the enlistment record I would think not. Looks like he enlisted as a private in 1943 and was only 18, with his birth year being 1925. He most likely would not have been able to get his pilots wings. 

Actually, the newspaper article and enlistment record from North Carolina has nothing to do with the correct John B. Gillette.

Here's some articles.

Source:  Newspapers.com

g1.jpg

g1a.jpg

huntssurplus

Interesting. Neither the DFC or Air Medal are on the jacket posted by the OP. The ribbons show he has 3 battle start on his campaign ribbon, a WW2 victory, and an Army Good Conduct ribbon, (which is reserved for just enlisted personnel). I'm curious what the backings are on the ribbon bar. I'm guessing this uniform must have not been updated at the end of the war with the fact that there looks to be 2nd Lieutenant bars on it, but the WW2 Victory ribbon is throwing me off a bit. The Air Medal decoration shows he is a First Lieutenant by April of 1945. 

It's also weird that there is no CBI theatre patch on the jacket either. Maybe I'm missing something here, but I wonder if the ribbons are maybe post war replacements or something, and not his original ones. 

surdescharbonsardents

It's great, well done again. It is fabulous. I saw in the article that he had two stars on the Asian -Pacific ribbon.

On my uniform there are three. It's weird. Maybe changed?

49 minutes ago, surdescharbonsardents said:

Thanks for your help. I have this too. See pages 143 to 147. Its name is on page 147.

When do you also think.

Thank you

1592164259_RAFWingsOverFloridaMemoriesofWorldWarIIBritishAirCade.pdf 9.61 MB · 1 download

UPDATED:  While I initially didn't think the John B. Gillette mentioned in your .pdf document was the right one, I stand corrected.  It is your John B. Gillette.

surdescharbonsardents

For the moment I cannot confirm all of this. It is a set that I bought and that I should receive soon. I have a photo of the manufacturer's label. With a pin visible next to it. As soon as I receive it, I will take more photos and look at it all.

Manufactured by HAPP at WORCESTER

286_003.jpg