1960s USN SSBN Group Can Sailor be researched ?

I recently picked up this Submarine grouping belonging to a W R Dean who at one time served on the USS Nathan Hale SSBN 623. The # on his dog tags is 444 83 26 and was told he is deceased. I was also told that his service was to recent to be searched. Is that true ? If anyone can find anything on his service I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

Redone

sub 1.jpg

sub 2.jpg

sub 3.jpg

CavalryCombatant

A quick google search of the ship shows a website with crew names and such,  If you’d like I can send you the link to it.  If not, here’s a screenshot of the website.   I’d say it’s your best bet.  

I’ve found with more modern stuff, it’s near impossible to research.  Most records are not public, nor will they be for a good few years.  If his name doesn’t show up on the site above, perhaps going to a family tree site and Finding close relatives may be a shot.  Unless you can get in contact with the gentleman/family I don’t think there are many chances.

Not trying to be a pessimist, just stating my experience.  

Best of luck finding your man, 

CC

Search for the boat's association...they probably have held reunions, and they almost always have a roster of people and they're addresses - including widows, as well as a newsletter...I've found a lot of people that way.

Mark sends

6 hours ago, CavalryCombatant said:

A quick google search of the ship shows a website with crew names and such,  If you’d like I can send you the link to it.  If not, here’s a screenshot of the website.   I’d say it’s your best bet.  

I’ve found with more modern stuff, it’s near impossible to research.  Most records are not public, nor will they be for a good few years.  If his name doesn’t show up on the site above, perhaps going to a family tree site and Finding close relatives may be a shot.  Unless you can get in contact with the gentleman/family I don’t think there are many chances.

Not trying to be a pessimist, just stating my experience.  

Best of luck finding your man, 

CC

Thank you. I saw the crew site and had no luck. I appreciate your comments.

Thanks again,

Redone

2 hours ago, mvmhm said:

Search for the boat's association...they probably have held reunions, and they almost always have a roster of people and they're addresses - including widows, as well as a newsletter...I've found a lot of people that way.

Mark sends

I will try that. 

Thank you Mark.

Redone

vforvictory1945

Very cool lot with the Philippines Belt Buckle!

P-40Warhawk

Nice grouping!

He passed away in 2015, this is from the grave locator:

DEAN, WILLIAM RUSSELL  

STCS   US NAVY

KOREA, VIETNAM

DATE OF BIRTH: 11/06/1934

DATE OF DEATH: 02/23/2015

BURIED AT:

ROSEWOOD MEMORIAL GARDENS

7764 WEST LEE HWY RURAL RETREAT, VA 24368

Some of the ship associations indicate he served from about 1954-1976. Try the vets groups for the Cubera, Sea Cat, James Monroe, Benjamin Franklin, and Nathan Hale; those are the subs he listed on one of the vet organization websites. Hope that helps

On 1/11/2021 at 8:42 PM, P-40Warhawk said:

Nice grouping!

He passed away in 2015, this is from the grave locator:

DEAN, WILLIAM RUSSELL  

STCS   US NAVY

KOREA, VIETNAM

DATE OF BIRTH: 11/06/1934

DATE OF DEATH: 02/23/2015

BURIED AT:

ROSEWOOD MEMORIAL GARDENS

7764 WEST LEE HWY RURAL RETREAT, VA 24368

Some of the ship associations indicate he served from about 1954-1976. Try the vets groups for the Cubera, Sea Cat, James Monroe, Benjamin Franklin, and Nathan Hale; those are the subs he listed on one of the vet organization websites. Hope that helps

Big help. Thank you Warhawk.
Redone