5 Star General Helmets

GSP

I know not a lot of people "specialize" in collecting General's helmet, but I've always had this (uncommon) question. Did any 5 star General's helmets survive in private or public collections? I know General Marshall's and Bradley's are still kicking around in museums. I remember General Eisenhower's 4 star lid selling a bit back, but are there any 5 star lids with attributable provenance in private collections still? I've always been curious about this subject, as I'm sure most 5 stars had little need for helmets, let alone the need to mark them as such.

All joking aside!

there is a Vietnam made cap with 5 stars and some guys used to wear them getting off aircraft and would receive a good snap to attention but they were usually dressed in rags 

pretty funny 

owen 

5 hours ago, kammo-man said:

My tandoori chicken always gets 5 stars 

owen 

9C3D9300-9269-494E-9E91-E81834A755D0.jpeg

General Tandoori was a bonified hero no doubt about it.  I heard General Tso was his mentor at the academy

Can anyone find a photo of Bradley wearing a 5-star insignia on his M1? Photos of him with his 4-star helmet are common enough.

This Life magazine is dated nearly 7 months after he was promoted to General of the Army (22 Sep 1950). 

Bradley.jpg

collectsmedals

I don't think I have ever seen a picture of a five star General or Admiral wearing a helmet at that rank. As GSP said, it is unlikely they would be in situations where they needed one. That having been said this is purported to be Eisenhower's helmet, but I have no way of knowing if that is true. It looks too gaudy.

02_0d3243f50ab287ff174931bfbd45a3f7.jpg

6 hours ago, collectsmedals said:

I don't think I have ever seen a picture of a five star General or Admiral wearing a helmet at that rank. As GSP said, it is unlikely they would be in situations where they needed one. That having been said this is purported to be Eisenhower's helmet, but I have no way of knowing if that is true. It looks too gaudy.

02_0d3243f50ab287ff174931bfbd45a3f7.jpg

This same hawley liner is mentioned here, it has no provenance to my knowledge.

17 minutes ago, patches said:

craig_pickrall

Co-Founder

Posted August 3, 2012

You can use this for comparison. This is in the VMI / Marshall Museum.

image.png.347bcf80809cf0b7488e962878585b0b.pngimage.png.53208b97c59d23ba7e3f91169eddc35a.pngimage.png.7bb65acc3d6bb12f197da7e4dca863d8.png

This thread has some more photos, I think 4StarChris made a post awhile back which shows General Bradley's 5 star 1950s or Vietnam era helmet, worn past retirement for ceremonial purposes, I suppose.