M1905 OL Next Superstar!

hyrax222

We all know about price creap, it's inevitable. However, The second smallest contractor for M1905 bayos. was Onieda Limited. As such, they are a challenge to locate in collectible condition.

Lately I noticed, what few examples seen, in either year (42-43) have been drawing higher bids.     Even the M1905's that have been modified (shortened) are commanding respectible prices.

Of course, the M1 by OL is a fine score...

The Detroit Gasket does help a bit in this auction 😀

hyrax222

Screenshot_20210106-193949.jpg

Screenshot_20210106-193824.jpg

The M1905 OL bayonet was the first "long garand" bayonet I ever got.  I got it from IMA for $59.95 +10.00 shipping.

Nice bayonet you got there!

Marv

mikedon- Very nice 42 OL! And square fuller to boot!

Misfit45- $59 OL? When were those days? I bought my 1st M1905's in the early 80's from IMA. I think I payed $125 then....

Tally of WWII M1905 16" for sale, all sources, in 2020:

UFH-307, 162  of these cut to 10"

AFH-166,  114       "              "

PAL- 141,    70       "              "

UC-     79,    57        "              "

OL-   104,    27         "             "

WT-     51,    36        "             "

Totals=848, 460

So, 55 percent of M1905 bayos dated 1942-1943 were cut.

Just my observation.

hyrax222

Checked Gary Cunningham's bayonet book, he has Onieda's  M1905s listed as around 150,000 with Wilde Tool lowest at 60,000. Not sure where the seller got his lowest at 20,000.  SKIP

Frank Trzaska

The OL marking has always drawn a crowd as a very limited supply. Their prototypes are astronomically expensive and have been since the 1960's.

11 hours ago, hyrax222 said:

mikedon- Very nice 42 OL! And square fuller to boot!

Misfit45- $59 OL? When were those days? I bought my 1st M1905's in the early 80's from IMA. I think I payed $125 then....

hyraxx222

Actually, I bought the M1905 OL a little after 1984.  The person who became a very good friend, introduced me to collecting militaria then. 

Here's the ad from which this bayonet came, and the bayonet.

Marv

resized_IMG_3062.JPG

resized_032 Long Garand 1942-1.jpg

Nice ad from "Shotgun News"! So fun to read these old ads...So you lucked out and they sent you an OL. It could have been a scruffy UFH! For the price though, either is a great deal. 

Some of these bayonets are selling for more than a similar condition host rifle! So you may need the rifle as a accessory to your bayonet, rather than the other way around!?

hyrax222

Frank- Prototype OL bayonets? I have never seen or heard of such. I don't have access to that information. Where could I find it? 

hyrax222

hyrax222- Agree it was the 20,000 production figure for the Onieda M1 bayonets. Just realized I don't have a OL M1 in my collection.  Also reaized how much I missed the old "Shotgun News" ads. Had a subscription for about 20 years til ebay came along.  Got some good stuff through the paper. SKIP

Ah yes! I first saw SGN in 1974 or 1975. I was 20 yrs. old and hungry for everything in that rag! Every month when it arrived I would thrash it from cover to cover and work the phone and snail mail to scoop up all the good stuff before it was gone. Big phone bills talking to major collecttors who have largely left the stage. I miss them...

Then came the Gun List and took alot of SGN's biz away.

Then the internet and Ebay, and other auctions and stores.

And I fell down that rabbit hole...

...still down here.

hyrax222

34_P1060087.jpg

39_P1060091.jpg

P1060088.JPG

13_P1060089.jpg

38_Bayo.20.1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Don't y'all forget, I gave notice.

Stand by for indentification of other scarce (I mean rare!) types of M1905/M1 bayonets.

hyrax222

Screenshot_20200911-125504.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Forum Members,

Some very nice bayonets pictured above. I have been watching this post with interest, especially those last couple of M1 OL sale prices. I have had a US M1 OL 1943 marked bayonet for a couple of years now, cost me AU $75 at a gun show. Not quiet as good as some of those pictured above but still a nice bayonet and scabbard that is very clearly marked. The scabbard is marked B 3/5 N. I noticed that the first photos of the 1942 OL bayonet pictured above appears to have what looks like part of a circle on the back side of the blade, mine has something which looks simular. Any thoughts as to what it might be.

Collector2

M1OL3.jpg

M1OL4.jpg

M1OL5.jpg

M1OL11.jpg

M1OL8.jpg

The mark you see is of two crossed cannons in a circle.  They rarely ever are fully formed.  Very light strikes. I presume that were struck after the blade was completed and tempered.

Marv

Hi Marv,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have just found it on page 49 of my copy of American Mil. Bay. of the 20th century. I have never noticed the crossed connons before and never heard or seen it mentioned before. Thanks to forum members like yourself, that this is my learning for today. 

Collector2

Occasionally you will also find an Ordinance Bomb on the top of the blade, just in front of the guard. Can't recall exactly which maker, and it's not on all of them.  SKIP

Collector2-

Very good score! I tend to accept a lower than mint condition artifact when very scarce, this is one of those. Thanks for posting!

hyrax222