WW2 USN Pilot Wings Tiffany Wing?

skio

Picked these up in a trade a while back and presume them to be WWII.The top wing I was told looks to be an unmarked Tiffany wing but took that with a grain of salt.Any thoughts?The wing is slightly smaller that the reg full size wings and has what I think is called a drop in catch.Second wing is made by Imperial and bottom wing made by AMICO & 1/20 10K G.F.Thanks!

post-5041-1232934701.jpg

post-5041-1232934715.jpg

The top wing is not an especially rare pattern and is likely not a "Tiffany" wing. I have seen these patterns with a number of hallmarks (ie NANCO shown). This pattern is frequently touted as being a 1930's vintage wing, but I have gotten them from groupings of USN pilots who earned their wings late in the war. More than likey, you have 3 very nice WWII with (maybe) the top one being just pre-WWII vintage wings. But, also more than likely not a Tiffany wing.

Patrick

post-1519-1232937195.jpg

Patrick,

I knew I could get the correct info on that one from you.Many thanks!I really did not put much faith in that story and thought "why wouldn't they put the hallmark on it?".It is a nice set of wings.They sure do shine!

Patrick,

I knew I could get the correct info on that one from you.Many thanks!I really did not put much faith in that story and thought "why wouldn't they put the hallmark on it?".It is a nice set of wings.They sure do shine!

Yes, a very nice group of wings. I have seen a couple of early Tiffany wings in someone else's collection and they are very nice. These are nice, but....

Patrick

Based on these photos it looks somewhat like the Robbins pattern which, surprisingly, I don't have pictured on my site. I have a Robbins marked and a Robbins made but unmarked wing like this in my personal collection. Looks like I need to do some photography and get those out to the site. I vote Robbins over Tiffany but closer pictures would help.

Based on these photos it looks somewhat like the Robbins pattern which, surprisingly, I don't have pictured on my site. I have a Robbins marked and a Robbins made but unmarked wing like this in my personal collection. Looks like I need to do some photography and get those out to the site. I vote Robbins over Tiffany but closer pictures would help.

Here is a closer pic of the wing in question.

Stevepost-5041-1233024791.jpg

Yep, that's it. Dead on Robbins pattern. Matches exactly my unmarked badge. Same drop in catch and pin. Gorgeous wing. One of my favorites in my Navy collection. And I'm a sucker for Naval aviator wings. Once I can get a shot of mine in some decent daylight I'll post some photos.

Yep, that's it. Dead on Robbins pattern. Matches exactly my unmarked badge. Same drop in catch and pin. Gorgeous wing. One of my favorites in my Navy collection. And I'm a sucker for Naval aviator wings. Once I can get a shot of mine in some decent daylight I'll post some photos.

Many thanks!You are correct in it being a gorgeous wing.I had a heck of a time with getting a decent picture and still feel I could have done better.

Steve

Here's the wings, sorry they aren't the best pictures. I had to snap them quick this morning. The Robbins marked wing is on top and the Robbins made but unmarked is on the bottom. They look like they're different sizes but it's a trick of the camera. They are the same size. The unmarked also looks like it has more detail in this picture but again that's a trick of the camera. It focused on this wing in macro mode so it blurred the details of the top wing a bit. I think you can see this is the same pattern as yours.

img_1613_1400.jpg

img_1615_1400.jpg

Here is another early Robbins wing that kind of spans the earlier "pre-berry" wings like yours and the later WWII "berries" wings. This is marked Robbins and 1/20th 10K on either end of the wings.

I bought it because I thought that this was a nice illustration of the transition. The "berries" in the shoulder in this wing are more like little feathers. Also, some of the stylistic changes from the earlier wings are maintained in these wings.

Patrick

post-1519-1233086396.jpg