Navy Bullion Patch (assistance appreciated)

CavalryCombatant

CavalryCombatant

Hello everyone, hope your having a great evening.   I mainly collect army stuff. I recently came across a navy peacoat (I think) I noticed on the sleeve what appears to be a bullion (rank?) patch.  It’s only on one sleeve and looks somewhat poorly applied, so I’m not sure it’s original to the jacket.  The patch itself looks good enough to me, and I figured it might be worth buying.  

I only have this one picture, so I’m sorry if it’s not overly helpful.  
It’s about $20 

Thanks for any assistance, once again hope your having a good evening.

E0F629EF-44D5-4803-B697-A1679AE9EC91.jpeg

DocCollector1441

Its the rate (rank) insignia for a Chief Machinist Mate or depending on the age of the coat, one of the other ratings that shared the prop rating insignia. 

David Minton

It is left facing so from after May 1941. Rating badges are only worn on one sleeve. If the coat has eight gold buttons it is WWII era. If it has only six, it is from Kate WWII or later. That rating would have been worn on a Service Dress Blue sack coat. If it is on a real peacoat, it is non regulation, and probably not original to the coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CavalryCombatant
9 hours ago, David Minton said:

It is left facing so from after May 1941. Rating badges are only worn on one sleeve. If the coat has eight gold buttons it is WWII era. If it has only six, it is from Kate WWII or later. That rating would have been worn on a Service Dress Blue sack coat. If it is on a real peacoat, it is non regulation, and probably not original to the coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The jacket has four gold buttons, in two rows for a total of eight.  Two lower pockets with one being on the top right hand side 

I’m not sure exactly what you mean for the direction it’s facing, so can’t reply to that.

thanks for your input,

CC

CavalryCombatant

Also, I found this online when I searched “WWII Service dress blue sack coat” And it looks nearly identical minus the medals & ruptured duck.

image.jpeg

USN chief's dress coat (not peacoat) with a bullion Chief Machinist's Mate rate (not rank). Navy terminology is different than Army, a navy peacoat is an army trenchcoat (heavy wool overcoat) although not as long. David is talking about the eagle (AKA crow) on the rate above the chevrons looking to the left. 

USN enlisted and officer ranks are totally unlike Army, USMC, or USAF. A Major in the Army, Air Force, or Marines is a lieutenant commander in the Navy, and a Navy Captain is a Colonel in any other branch. Read up on USN rank structure if you plan on getting into collecting Navy, it'll help you determine what you're looking at. 

CavalryCombatant
45 minutes ago, MattS said:

USN chief's dress coat (not peacoat) with a bullion Chief Machinist's Mate rate (not rank). Navy terminology is different than Army, a navy peacoat is an army trenchcoat (heavy wool overcoat) although not as long. David is talking about the eagle (AKA crow) on the rate above the chevrons looking to the left. 

USN enlisted and officer ranks are totally unlike Army, USMC, or USAF. A Major in the Army, Air Force, or Marines is a lieutenant commander in the Navy, and a Navy Captain is a Colonel in any other branch. Read up on USN rank structure if you plan on getting into collecting Navy, it'll help you determine what you're looking at. 

Oh, I think I see.  So, let me make sure I’ve got my facts straight.

So the eagle is facing left, so after 1941. 
it has eight buttons so it’s wartime

its a senior enlisted’s formal jacket

it has bullion rate insignia indicating a mechanic 

Would you say it’s worth buying at $20? 

Once again, thank you to everyone who posted and shared information,

CC

Sounds correct, mostly likely a WW2 USN Chief's uniform.

Next questions; are there any other ribbons on it? Is it named? A named uniform to a chief onboard a decorated warship will stir interest. If not, $20 is about right. I had one I gave away (literally) because no one wanted it after posting it for sale numerous times.  

David Minton
Oh, I think I see.  So, let me make sure I’ve got my facts straight.

So the eagle is facing left, so after 1941. 
it has eight buttons so it’s wartime
its a senior enlisted’s formal jacket
it has bullion rate insignia indicating a mechanic 

Would you say it’s worth buying at $20? 

Once again, thank you to everyone who posted and shared information,
CC
$20 is a fair price for an eight button SDB coat. With only a bullion rate they sell for maybe $20–$40, depending on the rate and size of the coat. If it is named, has additional patches, or a rare rate patch, the price can go much higher. This is likely a solid WWII example, so nice to have in a collection.

I really like this style of coat, and own maybe eight of them. They are not widely collected at this time, hence the low cost. US Navy uniforms, particularly service dress have not changed much in the last 100 years, so there are not as many patterns to collect, which probably also influences the price. The officer SDB uniform hasn't changed much that I am aware of in maybe the last 100 years, with the Chief uniform only changing the number of buttons, and the direction of the eagle on the rate badge.
61a660fe103fa69e37131f5cdc9b26be.jpg

CavalryCombatant
6 minutes ago, David Minton said:

$20 is a fair price for an eight button SDB coat. With only a bullion rate they sell for maybe $20–$40, depending on the rate and size of the coat. If it is named, has additional patches, or a rare rate patch, the price can go much higher. This is likely a solid WWII example, so nice to have in a collection.

I really like this style of coat, and own maybe eight of them. They are not widely collected at this time, hence the low cost. US Navy uniforms, particularly service dress have not changed much in the last 100 years, so there are not as many patterns to collect, which probably also influences the price. The officer SDB uniform hasn't changed much that I am aware of in maybe the last 100 years, with the Chief uniform only changing the number of buttons, and the direction of the eagle on the rate badge.

Wow, that’s quite a collection! I think I’ll try to get it sometime shortly.  For a genuine WWII uniform, can’t complain with $20!