George Lee Jameson Forster

surdescharbonsardents

surdescharbonsardents

Hello, I wish I had a little more information about the owner of this officer shirt if possible. Unfortunately, I found very little information on this. What I found on him is :

George Lee Jameson Forster was very involved in clubs and activities at Radnor High School, including as a member of Hi-Y, which strived “to create, maintain and extend throughout the school and community, high standards of Christian character,” and the Law and Order Committee. He also held various positions on Student Council, including president and vice president, and the Assembly Program Committee. During his freshman year, Mr. Forster wrote for the school newspaper, the “Radnorite.” He also played varsity basketball.

Mr. Forster’s prospective school was Yale University, but this changed when Pearl Harbor was attacked during Mr. Forster’s junior year, fully involving the United States in World War II.

Like many of his peers, Mr. Forster was moved to join the military. He enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Force on April 12, 1943 and achieved the rank of lieutenant. He was most likely involved in the Italian Campaign, which began on July 10, 1943, when Allied forces joined together to try to advance up the Italian coast and into Germany.

Sadly, Mr. Forster died on July 13, 1944 in Italy. His name can be found on the War Memorial at the West Laurel Hill Cemetery and at the War Memorial in downtown Wayne.

All additional information will be welcome! Thank you in advance for your help.

s-l163.jpg

s-l164.jpg

s-l165.jpg

Your guess is as good as mine. The award cards reference 15th Air Force Award orders, and no specifics like squadron or group, so it is difficult to say whether he was in a bomber, fighter, or even a cargo plane. More research is needed.

Allan

surdescharbonsardents

I don't see all of your air medal decoration you posted. I don't understand everything that is written there. Can you help me. Thank you.

July 12, 1944: bombing of Nîmes in France (marshalling yard) If he was in a bomber. The 13th no mission, the day of his death. This is just a guess. So maybe another mission in another type of plane. Lieutenant he must have been in command or co-pilot.

huntssurplus

https://www.wwiimemorial.com/Registry/plaque_wardept.aspx?honoreeID=1333440

https://www.wwiimemorial.com/Registry/plaque_wardept.aspx?honoreeID=1333440

Lt. George Forster was apart of the 344th Bombardment Squadron of the 98th Bombardment Group. Here is the explanation of the circumstances in which he was KIA. 

On a bombing mission to Bresion, Italy, 15 July 1944, Lt. Forster was bombardier on one of the aircraft. Intense and accurate anti-aircraft fire was encountered on the bombing run and just after bombs away, (at 1124 hours), a near burst of an anti-aircraft shell sent pieces of shrapnel into the aircraft. One piece of shrapnel pierced Lt. Forsters steel helmet directly over the right ear and lodged itself in his skull. Lt Forster was killed instantly, but first aid was administered nonetheless, and the aircraft was landed at the nearest friendly field, so that medical attention would be available at the earliest moment. No other crew member was injured. 

Crew Members:

Lt. Robert K. Anna, Pilot

Lt. John Rawls, Co-pilot.
Lt. Ernest E. Dietts, Navigator.

T/Sgt Lawrence J. Bressler, Engineer

T/Sgt Manny Tabackman, Radio Operator.

S/Sgt Marquis Whaley, Gunner.

S/Sgt John F Harrington, Gunner.

S/Sgt Worman E. Alfred, Gunner.

S/Sgt Eugene Komarnitski, Gunner

I can give a link to the document if you wish, you will need a Fold3 account to access it though.

Rest in Peace, Lt. Forster. Thank you for your service. 

surdescharbonsardents

Great. many thanks for this new information.

I am very happy with your work to both Allan H. and huntssurplus.

28.jpg.172df2943e3ce2f9fb46768f797f25b0.jpgFollowing your new information I found this.