Need help with a Krag Jorgensen M1898

spagg

I'm missing the Mag cut off lever, but is there anything else broken here? Never owned one before so I'm not sure. Looks rather easy to install, I have one M1898 cut off on order to put on. The rifle is in very nice original condition just don't know why this lever is missing? I need to make a decision to buy or not by 12:00 PM today. Thanks

IMG_2545.jpg

IMG_2546.jpg

IMG_2544.jpg

Everything looks ok from the pics. Make sure the cut-off you ordered has the plunger and spring in it. Pretty straight forward installation.

This is a good video on teardown on one. Starting at 10;34 of the video is the cut-off.

https://youtu.be/8FEjThKdmMc

Nice. Looks to be in pretty good shape. Somebody has obviously taken it apart several times judging by the messed up screws and scaring in some places. Are you going to shoot it?

3 minutes ago, Scottz63 said:

Nice. Looks to be in pretty good shape. Somebody has obviously taken it apart several times judging by the messed up screws and scaring in some places. Are you going to shoot it?

Maybe. Thanks for the info.

46 minutes ago, Scottz63 said:

Everything looks ok from the pics. Make sure the cut-off you ordered has the plunger and spring in it. Pretty straight forward installation.

This is a good video on teardown on one. Starting at 10;34 of the video is the cut-off.

https://youtu.be/8FEjThKdmMc

I saw this video. But nothing on installing the mag cut off but looks to be a easy fix.

It does at 10:34 of the video. He takes it out and puts it back in. He kind of blocks it a bit, but you can still see how it's done.

15 minutes ago, Scottz63 said:

It does at 10:34 of the video. He takes it out and puts it back in. He kind of blocks it a bit, but you can still see how it's done.

Got it. Thanks.

2 hours ago, thorin6 said:

Remember there are two types of magazine cut-offs; make sure you get the right one.

I was told I need the M1898 cut off.

While the books show seven types of cut-offs, the main difference is in the early ones, when the thumb piece was up, the cartridges would be single loaded, and when down, feed from the magazine.  Around 107,000 serial number it was reversed so when up, the cartridges would feed from the magazine, and down the cartridges would be single loaded.  The general concept of loading was that the cartridges would be single loaded and the magazine cartridges would be held in reserve.  By reversing the loading lever made it easier for NCOs to see when the thumb piece was up, their men were using the rounds in the magazine when they shouldn't.

Sometimes the parts being sold don't differentiate between the two.

14 hours ago, thorin6 said:

Remember there are two types of magazine cut-offs; make sure you get the right one.

M1898 I was told would be the correct cut off lever.

7 hours ago, ludwigh1980 said:

Front sight looks off, does it have a sight cover?

No sight cover.? Did they have sight covers for the Krag's? My sight is right on.

Please post a larger picture of the front sight.  From the photos it looks like the front sight could be for a M1903, which would indicate a problem.

It almost looks like it is cut down... Could this be one of the Philippine Constabulary/Military School pieces?  Need to see close up photos of the front fore end, sight, and bayonet attachment... It could be a pretty good piece or a "bubba"... Hopefully its the former.

13 hours ago, cwnorma said:

It almost looks like it is cut down... Could this be one of the Philippine Constabulary/Military School pieces?  Need to see close up photos of the front fore end, sight, and bayonet attachment... It could be a pretty good piece or a "bubba"... Hopefully its the former.

Here are the pics. I still have a coup;e of days to get my $$$ back! So, please let me know if this has been messed with!! Looks like total length about 43.5" from end of butt plate to front end of the barrel?

Thanks,

Sal

IMG_2565.jpg

IMG_2568.jpg

IMG_2569.jpg

IMG_2570.jpg

IMG_2571.jpg

IMG_2572.jpg

IMG_2573.jpg

IMG_2574.jpg

14 hours ago, thorin6 said:

Please post a larger picture of the front sight.  From the photos it looks like the front sight could be for a M1903, which would indicate a problem.

Yep, 1903 front sights,  sending this back to the seller. It's a local purchase. Never had a Krag in hand or a 1903 so I got fooled somewhat.

Unfortunately, this is not a Philippine Constabulary/school rifle.  Correct ones were modified at Arsenal using a Krag carbine barrel with integral site and muzzle end turned down to accept the bayonet.  Correct Philippine Constabulary Rifles are exceedingly rare and arsenal modified school rifles are desirable secondary martial pieces.

It could still be considered a type of "school rifle." Many surplus Krag's were modified in the 1910-1960 time frame for use by boy's military schools by private firms.  These "school rifles" vary in the quality of workmanship (yours appears fairly good), and parts used.

Of course there are also "Bubba" rifles and "Frankenstein" rifles...

The school rifles are interesting for Krag collectors to show a secondary military use for obsolete rifles, but as privately modified martial pieces they don't carry a high value.

Chris

I was in touch with the owner and he has agreed to refund my money. He was unsure about this weapon himself now. Thanks for all your help and input.

Sal