British War Relief Society

BEAST

I found these wings mixed in with some jewelry at a flea market. I knew they were not military, buit thought they were just sweathart wings. I was pleasently suprised to find their true use. It appears that there was a another piece attached to the chain.

The British War Relief Society (BWRS) was the umbrella organization that oversaw the collection of funds for the relief of civilians in Britain during WWII. The following information is taken from: http://www.ww2homefront.com/junkie5.html

"The BWRS was primarily an administrative office, a central receiving depot for money and supplies donated which were then parceled out to its affiliate organizations in the US and in Britain. These donations were raised in the name of the BWRS, rather than in the name of the smaller groups."

"Because the RAF were the great heroes of the day, Bundles and the BWRS produced wing pins marked RAF on the front, with their Bundles or BWRS affiliation on the back. These wings were usually vermeil (24k goldplate over sterling) with enamel and are made by Monet or Accessocraft, two well-known costume jewelry manufacturers."

post-203-1232928580.jpg

post-203-1232928587.jpg

There has been some question as to whether this post should be allowed because it appears to be of a non-US item. However, the BRWS was an American homefront cause to help the British war effort. I have somewhat modified the topic title.

Thanks Siege. I thought about it after I submitted the post that I did not explain that the BWRS was a US homefront organization. Glad you clarified it!