Opinions on PH engraving

kkevin2004

This is a PH that I have been the caretaker of for a few years. I acquired it from another member on the forum and it was originally listed as a WIA POW of the 106th Infantry Division. After agreeing to purchase it, the seller said that it could possibly be attributed to an Air Force pilot that was KIA in Vietnam. There is also the possibility that it could have belonged to a WWII WIA Combat Medic with the 82nd Airborne. When looking at the small machine engraved examples from WWII in Dave's book, the engraving doesn't seem to match up to his examples. I know that the Air Force engravings during Vietnam were all over the place, but just wanted to see what opinions the forum would bring.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

IMG_1604.jpeg

IMG_1603 (3).jpeg

IMG_1602.jpeg

Kevin 

I don’t get looking at it that it’s WWII small blackened engraved . Seems later to me but I’m no expert . The USAF Vietnam one I had was different but as you said they are all over with engravings . There was a USAF Kia VN on the forum a while back from a C47 gunship guy that I remember being similar?

I have been trying to find it ?

The Air Force was the least consistent service with regard to engraving styles during Vietnam. I have a feeling this could well be the USAF pilot's medal. 

Possibility?

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/90633153/walter-wesley-martin

https://www.vhpa.org/KIA/K11280.HTM

Name: MAJ Walter Wesley Martin
Status: Killed In Action from an incident on 01/17/1969 while performing the duty of Pilot.
Age at death: 33.3
Date of Birth: 10/16/1935
Home City: Opolis, KS
Service: regular component of the U.S. Air Force.
Unit: 20 SOS
Service: U.S. Air Force.
The Wall location: 34W-026
Short Summary: Crashed in northern Laos while supporting a TACAN site.
Aircraft: CH-3E tail number 62-12582
Call sign: PONY
Service number: 66567
MOS: *
Primary cause: Hostile Fire
Started Tour: 04/22/1968
"Official" listing: helicopter air casualty - pilot
Length of service: 10
Reason: aircraft lost or crashed
Casualty type: Hostile - killed
married male U.S. citizen
Race: Caucasian
Religion: Methodist (Evangelical United Brethren)
Burial information: HIGHLAND PARK CEMETERY, PITTSBURGH, KS
This record was last updated on 04/18/1998

Helicopter CH-3C 62-12582

Information on U.S. Air Force helicopter CH-3C tail number 62-12582
Date: 01/17/1969
Incident number: 69011717.KIA
Unit: 20 SOS
Laos
UTM grid coordinates: UH396157 (To see this location on a map, go to https://legallandconverter.com/p50.html and search on Grid Reference 48QUH396157)
Casualties = 06 KIA . .
Original source(s) and document(s) from which the incident was created or updated: Defense Intelligence Agency Helicopter Loss database. Also: OPERA, Unit History (Operations Report. )
Summary: Crashed while supporting TACAN site in northern Laos
Loss to Inventory

Crew Members:
P MAJ MARTIN WALTER WESLEY KIA
P CPT FLEMING RICHARD ALAN KIA
C SSG DAVIS ALBERT JACKSON KIA

Passengers and/or other participants:
LTC BOLTON WAYNE FRANKLIN, AF, PX, KIA
TSG KURTYKA GEORGE ALBERT, AF, PX, KIA
TSG MALDONADO JUAN ARTURO, AF, PX, KIA

War Story:
The edited unit history states a CH-3 was lost while supporting a TACAN site in northern Laos. Three crew members and three passengers died in the crash. Two crew chiefs and one passenger survived and were transferred to Clark AFB for hospitalization.

This record was last updated on 09/20/1998

42 minutes ago, Dave said:

The Air Force was the least consistent service with regard to engraving styles during Vietnam. I have a feeling this could well be the USAF pilot's medal. 

Dave 

I was thinking same thing ? There was a AC 47 crewman posted on the forum a while ago.

what I remember it was very similar to this one .

3 hours ago, scottplen said:

Kevin 

I don’t get looking at it that it’s WWII small blackened engraved . Seems later to me but I’m no expert . The USAF Vietnam one I had was different but as you said they are all over with engravings . There was a USAF Kia VN on the forum a while back from a C47 gunship guy that I remember being similar?

I have been trying to find it ?

If you could find it, I would really like to see it. Would make me feel much better if I could compare it to another known example!

1 hour ago, Dave said:

Thanks, Dave! Really looking forward to your next book as I find myself referencing Sacrifice Remembered often when doing research.

1 hour ago, aznation said:

Possibility?

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/90633153/walter-wesley-martin

https://www.vhpa.org/KIA/K11280.HTM

Name: MAJ Walter Wesley Martin
Status: Killed In Action from an incident on 01/17/1969 while performing the duty of Pilot.

Yes. That's exactly who I suspect this belongs to. As long as the engraving checks out for that time period.

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, scottplen said:

Sorry ! I can’t find the post ! 

No worries! Thanks for looking. I’ll keep on the lookout for an example and update this thread if I find one.