Massachusetts Naval Militia, A Concise History to include Awards and Decorations.

mrgsmvm

After 6 years of research and writing I completed this publication in 2017. It is available just ask for particulars. I do collect Massachusetts Naval Militia and have a modest collection. As my time allows I will post photos. 

Hello gunnertwo;

Thank you for asking.

I am in the long process of updating all five of my publications so it will be a while before I am ready to re-publish. When I do I will place the information on the site and also let you know directly. The cost will be as minimal as I can get as I self publish these works. Its less expensive and I don't have to deal with a publisher, editor and all the other Bull crap.

Sincerely

John

John J. Gisetto Sr.

On 1/3/2021 at 1:14 PM, mrgsmvm said:

img051.jpg.0985d02597e136ef69a63dad831ab3e9.jpgimg054.jpg.8e64f59c3ff478c017e5da7718114744.jpgimg050.jpg.d8941e452b8d1e510f2fcdf8cf8460e2.jpgThis is my first time posting so I need to get acclimated to posting and replying to questions.

So there are 3 pistol badges and 4 rifle badges for that style. 

Rifle. /Marksman, 1st Class Marksman, 2nd Class Marksman (All Bronze)

Pistol. /1st Class Marksman, 2nd Class Marksman (Both Bronze) Sharpshooter and Sharpshooter with Expert (Both Gold) 

Is that correct? Is there an expert Rifle?

8 hours ago, aactionjim said:

So there are 3 pistol badges and 4 rifle badges for that style. 

Rifle. /Marksman, 1st Class Marksman, 2nd Class Marksman (All Bronze)

Pistol. /1st Class Marksman, 2nd Class Marksman (Both Bronze) Sharpshooter and Sharpshooter with Expert (Both Gold) 

Is that correct? Is there an expert Rifle?

Sharpshooter was Gold for both Rifle and Pistol. Additional year bars were in Gold. I have never seen an example of an Expert top pinback title in Gold only bars with year awarded. There could be but no examples have turned up in the past 50 years that I have been collecting Massachusetts items.

Bronze for both Rifle and Pistol: 1st Class, 2nd Class and Marksman. All bars for these Classes were stamped in Bronze.

Interesting tidbit!!!! Ribbon Drapes were available for both the Gold and Bronze medals. This is a long story for another time. I will post examples as I have time to do so. Very busy here at home so my time is limited right now.

John J. Gisetto Sr.

4 hours ago, mrgsmvm said:

Sharpshooter was Gold for both Rifle and Pistol. Additional year bars were in Gold. I have never seen an example of an Expert top pinback title in Gold only bars with year awarded. There could be but no examples have turned up in the past 50 years that I have been collecting Massachusetts items.

Bronze for both Rifle and Pistol: 1st Class, 2nd Class and Marksman. All bars for these Classes were stamped in Bronze.

Interesting tidbit!!!! Ribbon Drapes were available for both the Gold and Bronze medals. This is a long story for another time. I will post examples as I have time to do so. Very busy here at home so my time is limited right now.

John J. Gisetto Sr.

Thank you for taking the time to explain that to me. I just wonder since you are in Mass if you get to run into these medals more often than other states. I will definitely keep my eyes peeled out out for them. 

My pleasure as it's great to be able to impart some of my knowledge to others and correct mistaken ideas and myths.

The Massachusetts Naval Militia Series of 1909 are rare even here in Massachusetts so it's difficult to find any at all. The only reason I have a reasonable decent collection is because I've been at it/collecting this stuff for 50 years. Its tough but I will keep at it until the collecting Gods come a calling for my trip into the unknown.

John