WW I US Mirror Sighting Compass

Brian Keith

I got this compass not too long ago and thought it was a bit less common. It is not a type I’ve seen before. It is well built, seems to have some age on it and I didn’t think it was a repo or fantasy from China. It was made by Cruchon & Emons of Berne, Switzerland. Doing a bit of internet research, I find it likely was made mid to late 1918.

From an internet web site: December 19, 2013 by Craig B   

Cruchon & Emons Mirror Sighting Compass

This compass operates in a similar fashion to modern mirror-sighting baseplate compasses. One ring of indices on the dial is printed back-to-front and mirrored. To take a bearing, the user reads the mirrored bearing off the highly polished brass plate set into the lid.

Manufactured in Paris, France and in Berne, Switzerland by both Plan Ltd and Cruchon & Emons from 1915, the mirror sighting compass was never as well-regarded as the prismatic models. When introduced into US Army service in 1916, this mirror sighting compass was the most accurate marching compass ever fielded by US forces.

Thanks for looking comments welcome,

BKW

P1020252.JPG

P1020253.JPG

P1020254.JPG

• 2 years later...
riggle.a82
On 1/4/2021 at 11:46 PM, robinb said:

I have the other maker.

comp1.jpg

comp2.jpg

comp3.jpg

On 1/3/2021 at 3:21 PM, Brian Keith said:

I got this compass not too long ago and thought it was a bit less common. It is not a type I’ve seen before. It is well built, seems to have some age on it and I didn’t think it was a repo or fantasy from China. It was made by Cruchon & Emons of Berne, Switzerland. Doing a bit of internet research, I find it likely was made mid to late 1918.

From an internet web site: December 19, 2013 by Craig B   

Cruchon & Emons Mirror Sighting Compass

This compass operates in a similar fashion to modern mirror-sighting baseplate compasses. One ring of indices on the dial is printed back-to-front and mirrored. To take a bearing, the user reads the mirrored bearing off the highly polished brass plate set into the lid.

Manufactured in Paris, France and in Berne, Switzerland by both Plan Ltd and Cruchon & Emons from 1915, the mirror sighting compass was never as well-regarded as the prismatic models. When introduced into US Army service in 1916, this mirror sighting compass was the most accurate marching compass ever fielded by US forces.

Thanks for looking comments welcome,

BKW

P1020252.JPG

P1020253.JPG

P1020254.JPG

I have I think the same one although the glass is broke. Would you happen to know if there is a way to replace the broken glass 

20240101_214736.jpg

20240101_214715.jpg

20240101_214704.jpg

riggle.a82---You might try to find an antique watch repairman. It's about the same as the crystal on some large pocket watches I've seen. Good Luck.