1991 Desert Storm Bring Backs

Wayward Son

Wayward Son, Thank you, and the other members for posting the bring back items.  I remember passing the POW compound, many times, that had the sign with "WE'LL KEEP THE LIGHT ON FOR YOU" (remember the Motel 6 commercial} painted on it.  All the posts revive 30 year old memories of the tracks that we made in the sand around Hafar Al Batin.   I was unpacking a box of "loot" a few months ago with a Russian radio set, and a bunch of Iraqi field gear and helmets.  I didn't do the best job of cleaning it when I packed it, funny the scent of the sand and equipment put me right back there in 1991.  I want to thank all of you for your posts here, but most of all to "THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE".

58 minutes ago, OD-Blue-Top said:

Wayward Son, Thank you, and the other members for posting the bring back items.  I remember passing the POW compound, many times, that had the sign with "WE'LL KEEP THE LIGHT ON FOR YOU" (remember the Motel 6 commercial} painted on it.  All the posts revive 30 year old memories of the tracks that we made in the sand around Hafar Al Batin.   I was unpacking a box of "loot" a few months ago with a Russian radio set, and a bunch of Iraqi field gear and helmets.  I didn't do the best job of cleaning it when I packed it, funny the scent of the sand and equipment put me right back there in 1991.  I want to thank all of you for your posts here, but most of all to "THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE".

Thank you OD!

I find it incredible how one post and a picture can bring back so many memories from long ago and far away. I am thankful for everyone who has responded to this post and added their story. I am glad to have been,, and currently be, in excellent company.

Bradford 

The POW Camp off of the Tapline Road was actually THREE camps- I know that the 301st and 302nd were two of the numbers. I don't recall the third. The camp was established just south of the most important Log Base in all of ODS- Log Base Saudi South! This is where the coalition forces established their Logistics support. 

As my Petroleum Supply unit was the only US unit for miles and miles, we played host to a lot of US forces. We had hot showers set up and used a 10,000 fuel bladder to hold the water. The showers were heated with immersion heaters. We had dozens of MP convoy guards and Tapline Road patrols that would come in for a hot meal and a shower. Bryan G's Egyptian Commandos were just north of the Tapline road closer to Quasuma than Hafr-Al-Batin. They had a USAF Captain who was an F-16 pilot that was living with them as their FAC. He was the most miserable zoomie in theater as his flying brothers were shooting everything up, whether in the air or on the ground. He was dying to be able to get back into the cockpit.

One funny memory for me- I would visit the SF guys with the Egyptian Commandos quite a bit. I was a 1st Lt at the time. There were several SF Captains there- wearing bars and crossed arrows. The weird thing for me is they kept calling me "sir." I couldn't figure that out, I finally asked one the the captains why he kept calling me sir when I was the one that was supposed to be calling him sir. He replied that he was really a Warrant Officer, but the Egyptians didn't respect that rank, so all of the warrants were just wearing CPT bars and crossed arrows. 

Memories! 

Allan

We refueled fairly often at a tanker point off Tap Line Road and I can still see that site very clearly when I think back.  Hard to believe that was 30 years ago.  Our MP battalion also ran an EWP collection point not far from Rafa/Tap Line.  It was a temporary site, holding Iraqi’s for only a few days until they could be transported to a more permanent camp.  All the prisoners seemed to be damn glad to be alive and in custody. 

2 hours ago, BryanJ said:

I wasn’t a collector at the time, but if I could turn the clock back, I’d bring back some pieces off this:  

36EC4EB5-32FC-47A0-AE2B-FA2527C8658B.jpeg

That definitely would not fit in the Amnesty Box! 😬

easterneagle87

Reading this thread brought back some memories. 

Recently I helped my parents move out of their house of 34 years. It was not the house I grew up in but a sanctuary to take my family back to.  I called it Peace on the Palouse. As my mom went through stuff, I just got a box of mementos from her. Here is an MRE post card I sent her just before we made the trip into Iraq. Funny to see this after so many years.   

MRE post Card 1.jpg

MRE post Card 2.jpg

• 5 months later...
On 1/3/2021 at 5:18 PM, Wayward Son said:

I just stumbled across this posting and want to thank you for posting it. Brings back a ton of memories! I found the Iraqi Thunder Troops patch fascinating. Have never seen one of these before. If you ever decide you want to part with it...I would love to add it to my ever-expanding Iraqi Gulf War collection.

I served as a Mechanized Infantryman (11M) on the M2A2 Bradley Fighting Vehicle with the 1st Cavalry Division in the Gulf War. I echo the sentiments of others...hard to believe it's been 30 years! Here are a few pics for everyone's viewing pleasure. The Iraqi BMP-1 was captured by our unit totally intact. It now sits on permanent outdoor display at the 1st Cav Museum in Fort Hood, TX.

Gulf 20.jpg

Gulf 56.jpg

Gulf 11.jpg

Gulf War 1.jpg

Gulf War RG Vehicle 2.jpg