Practice Bomb ID please

Misfit 45

Hi Folks,

I don't know anything about these.  It was plowed up in a field in the central valley of Ca. near a friend of mine.  I forgot to measure it, but it's about 24 inches long, weighs about 10-15 pounds.  There are no markings anywhere.  Any idea what this is?  Thanks.

Marv

resized_IMG_3040.JPG

resized_IMG_3041.JPG

resized_IMG_3042.JPG

dhcoleterracina

Yes, practice. Usually painted a light blue. I've heard that when dropped, there was a flare in that center tube that when it hit was activated. Perhaps to help find and pick up later or for the plane to gauge accuracy? I could be wrong, something I heard years ago.  

Thanks for the replies.  I was able to use the info to google more information.  It is also known as a MK 76, but the one photo that shows the writing on the side says BDU 33.

Used for several decades, could be Vietnam era. 

Thanks,

Marv

Kaptainssurplus

It's a bdu-33 not a mk-76. The MK-76 is the older one with fins that are enclosed but later mods had open fins. 

MK76practice.jpg

EmperorWangDong

I "found" one just like it when I was younger, painted blue in my grandfathers shed. I knew it was a bomb - but I did not know it was a practice bomb at the time - it was later in life that I learned what the blue paint signified. I remember dropping it repeatedly on its nose on an old tree stump in the backyard. No idea what I was thinking, but I was in the first grade so had to be about 6 years old at the time. Looking back that was quite a stupid thing to do - but boys will be boys, especially unsupervised.

Kaptainssurplus
18 hours ago, Misfit 45 said:

Thanks for the clarification.   What era was the BDU 33 used?  Thanks again.

Marv

The bdu-33 is modern and still being used. I think into service in the mid 60s.