That Looks Like It Hurts.

patches

8 hours ago, T Ambrosini said:

I think I remember seeing that photo in one of Colby's books, no?

“...a rugged US Army Sergeant firing a ‘Tommy’, holding it against his chin.” 

Quote from the C.B. Colby book “Musket to M14” on page 45.  

On page 44 of the same book is the picture of a M1919A6 mounted on an experimental tripod discussed on another recent thread.  

4 minutes ago, Doctorofwar said:

On page 44 of the same book is the picture of a M1919A6 mounted on an experimental tripod discussed on another recent thread.  

Yep, that's where I scanned it from.

8 minutes ago, Doctorofwar said:

Regarding the picture on page 44- The thread I was referring to is this one- M74 tripod, I recalled incorrectly, it wasn’t experimental just little used.  

Always loved those C.B. Colby books! Definitely had an impact on my interests as an adult. 

3 hours ago, Doctorofwar said:

Always loved those C.B. Colby books! Definitely had an impact on my interests as an adult. 

Me too.  Our elementary school library had the entire series of Colby's books and I read each one many times over

Firing a Thompson off your chin is a great way to prove that the recoil of the Thompson is not what many people would expect. I have done this a number of times to prove there is nothing to fear , when shooting a Thompson for the first time.

16 hours ago, B24AT6 said:

Firing a Thompson off your chin is a great way to prove that the recoil of the Thompson is not what many people would expect. I have done this a number of times to prove there is nothing to fear , when shooting a Thompson for the first time.

Yep. The Thompson has almost no recoil and is very easy to control - you can almost write your name with it.

EE0E0CA6-C8F9-4288-BE13-3B71E5F08CE3.jpeg