The collection controls you... it tells the truth...but it lies.

Misfit 45

I collect stuff because it pleases me, and keeps me out of the bars. Will continue to do so until I can’t afford it, Or the wife says no.

our kids are minimalists and want nothing to do with our collections, so the time will come to sell everything and travel on the proceeds. They will get nothing.

9th Infantry Manchu

I was thinking about this topic yesterday as I was getting an "itch" ... just feeling something was off ... then I realized it's been a little while since I'd found anything interesting (and that I could afford) to feed the collection. Then I saw a common Enfield No9 bayonet for sale, but it was mint and with the wrapper. My pulse quickened. I looked at all the pictures in detail. Cool markings, neat label. Very nice. I liked it. Buy it now. Check. Price reasonable. Check (ish). Seller with good feedback. Check. Shipping reasonable. Check. All systems go as I frantically typed in my passwords and ran through the payment system....and.....sold, estimated delivery Feb 2nd. And, I got my fix, the haze receded, and reality returned to normal. Meanwhile, my wife was sitting next to me oblivious of the epic battle that had just been fought, and won in her presence.

Hi, my name is Jim and I have a problem.

🤣

On 1/17/2021 at 12:34 AM, schmooser said:

I collect stuff because it pleases me, and keeps me out of the bars. Will continue to do so until I can’t afford it, Or the wife says no.

our kids are minimalists and want nothing to do with our collections, so the time will come to sell everything and travel on the proceeds. They will get nothing.

1 hour ago, 9th Infantry Manchu said:

I was thinking about this topic yesterday as I was getting an "itch" ... just feeling something was off ... then I realized it's been a little while since I'd found anything interesting (and that I could afford) to feed the collection. Then I saw a common Enfield No9 bayonet for sale, but it was mint and with the wrapper. My pulse quickened. I looked at all the pictures in detail. Cool markings, neat label. Very nice. I liked it. Buy it now. Check. Price reasonable. Check (ish). Seller with good feedback. Check. Shipping reasonable. Check. All systems go as I frantically typed in my passwords and ran through the payment system....and.....sold, estimated delivery Feb 2nd. And, I got my fix, the haze receded, and reality returned to normal. Meanwhile, my wife was sitting next to me oblivious of the epic battle that had just been fought, and won in her presence.

Hi, my name is Jim and I have a problem.

Prob best to not leave valuable items for family that has no interest.

Hi Jim, my names Dave and I'm a (non recovering) collectaholic.

Im onto bolo knives for some reason?

Ive made all the proper reasoning to myself to justfy my last fix.

Here it is .... check it out !

🤣

It's an interesting thread and I can only offer a somewhat abstract perspective to think about.

When I was growing up in the Uk and studying martial arts a sword teacher of mine told me about a collector he knew who had collected Japanese swords his whole life, and had hundreds, maybe more, he'd bought them after the war, when few cared and had amassed a museum worthy collection.

Then that special sword came along and it was so special it made the rest of his collection insignificant and he sold them all, so his lifetime collection of swords amounted to one Masamune.

*I recall an article about him, somewhere, but I cannot find it at all on line.

If you've ever been to the art gallery in Naples, there is a similar feeling when looking at the Carravagio, you go through halls of religious paintings until you find yourself on the fifth floor, where there are no paintings the walls are bare, for the WHOLE museum length, with just one picture hanging on the far wall. The star attraction of the Intesa Sanpaolo bank's art gallery at Palazzo Zevallos; and The Seven Works of Mercy (1607.)

Sometimes being able to trade in your whole collection for just that one special item is the answer, it's exciting and makes it really worthwhile, I recommend it once in a while.

dcollector

That would be a great way the "end" the collection.  Narrow it down to one great piece.  THIS is the culmination of 40 years of collecting!   It reminds me of Matthew 13: 45-46 where a pearl merchant found the greatest pearl and sold all he had to purchase it. 

Marv

10 hours ago, Misfit 45 said:

dcollector

That would be a great way the "end" the collection.  Narrow it down to one great piece.  THIS is the culmination of 40 years of collecting!   It reminds me of Matthew 13: 45-46 where a pearl merchant found the greatest pearl and sold all he had to purchase it. 

Marv

Also makes it much easier for your estate when the time comes....