WWII unit painted shells and liners - was there an official standard? And when did decals show up?

akriener

Hi all, the 2nd ID shell I posted about here: https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/351368-2nd-infantry-division-front-seam-fixed-loop-shell/

arrived today. I'm not convinced that it has been repainted as per speculation in the thread above but rather spot painted specifically to cover the insignia. The top has a dent where the cork has lost its texture however.

1. I was wondering - was there a standard put out by the military as to the sizing and placement of hand painted unit paint? The insignia on mine is 3x3 so I wouldn't consider that huge by any means so I don't know if that helps authenticate the period.

2. Did decals see use in WWII at all or more so immediately post war?

IMG_0519.JPG

IMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0517.JPG

IMG_0516.JPG

IMG_0515.JPG

I think WW2 era and the vast majority of decals were post war. Check out this thread. There are a few call outs to unit decals used during warrtime. I don’t believe any 2nd ID ones. Also in my reading I don’t believe there was a standard paint size of decals but maybe someone else can weigh in on this point. 

Z

You see insignia and markings in all sizes and places, a good example would be the ones done by airborne and medical units, they tended to get smaller as the war progressed in the case of the airborne; some guys even didn't paint any markings at all, as you can imagine the bigger markings may have given away a unit's position too easily, there are some relics that unfortunately show why the tactical markings got smaller. 

Decals and spray painting through cut insignia were adopted late in the war, but saw no general use as the other guys have stated.