96th Aero Squadron WWI Victory Medal - SFC John C. Frank

Daytonian777

Daytonian777

Here is a medal group that I picked up a few months ago, fresh out of the woodwork. This Victory Medal was awarded to John Christian Frank, the son of German immigrants, who immigrated to the USA in the 1880s. Born in New York City in 1891, he graduated from Stuyvesant High School and later attended Cooper Union for Engineering. Mr. Frank joined the U.S. Army in August of 1917 and deployed to France aboard RMS Adriatic in October 1917 attached to the 96th Aero Squadron. He was transferred to the 1105th Aero Replacement Squadron, stationed at Clermont-Ferrand Aerodrome (40 miles from Vichy) in May 1918. SFC Frank remained in France until 23 May 1919, returning stateside aboard USS Panaman. He was discharged 2 June 1919. He later went on to work for years in the aircraft industry and was an Army Aircraft Inspector during WWII. Mr. Frank picked up painting as a hobby when he retired in 1956. He married, had two daughters, and lived to be 90, passing away in 1981. SFC Frank took photos of his time in France, which I have attached here. Overall,    a fascinating group!

A note of interest: The 96th was the first U.S. Bombardment Squadron, which is still active today as a unit of 2d Operations Group, Barksdale AFB.

Here is his Find A Grave entry that I contributed to, writing the biography and providing photos - https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/170723094/john-christian-frank

JCF Victory Medal.jpg

WWI 1105th Group Photo John Frank I.jpg

Daytonian777

Memories that Mr. Frank dictated to his daughter of his service in France during The Great War

Memoir Title.jpg

Memoir 96th JCF.jpg

Daytonian777

And one more I forgot: a picture he took of French women washing clothes in a stream

WWI French Women Washing .jpg

aerialbridge

Very nice attributed boxed medal, photos and research.   Thanks for sharing.  If you haven't been to one of the 94th Aero Squadron restaurants (there are four nationwide, I believe) you'd probably enjoy once restaurants open again after the WuFlu vaccine is widely available.

https://la.eater.com/2017/9/28/16379702/94th-aero-squadron-restaurant-van-nuys-photos-inside-valley

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2021 at 4:25 PM, aerialbridge said:

Very nice attributed boxed medal, photos and research.   Thanks for sharing.  If you haven't been to one of the 94th Aero Squadron restaurants (there are four nationwide, I believe) you'd probably enjoy once restaurants open again after the WuFlu vaccine is widely available.

https://la.eater.com/2017/9/28/16379702/94th-aero-squadron-restaurant-van-nuys-photos-inside-valley

On 1/2/2021 at 4:16 PM, Brian Keith said:

Excellent Post! Really enjoyed reading about him and seeing these things.

Thanks,

BKW

Thank you both very much! I am glad that you enjoyed my humble contribution. I wanted to share Mr. Frank's story, both for the historical value and because he doesn't have any known family left. I'm a firm believer that veterans and their contributions (to our Country) should never be forgotten!

On 1/1/2021 at 4:25 PM, aerialbridge said:

Aerial,

The restaurants that you mentioned look awesome! I checked out the link, and will definitely check them out if I am ever in the area. Thanks for sharing!