a few retired navy covers

shadawg

a fine day here in sunny san diego. figured i'd take the opportunity to shed some light on a few of my favorites off the quay wall. The flat top is merely initialed MLH, while the blue dixie cup is named to a Rosenbaum, and the waves cover to a ms. Mary Jane ShowersDSC05375.JPG.e79afefd7a1aef267256d002a5367c01.JPG

DSC05377.JPG

5 hours ago, topdcnut said:

The working dixie cup looks nice especially a named one!.

thanks, i was glad to be able to snag one this past year

My dad lived both of those. He preferred the “Flat Hat”, cap, because it looked cool. The dyed “White Hats”, because he was a “Snipe”, and they hit the dirt. He talked about dying White Hats down in the pit. They would get a bucket, full it full of ink, ( back when in came in bottles for refillable fountain pens and no one asked where the ink came from. Snipes didn’t need no ink!), and everyone tossing in older White hats. They’d let them “Cook” in the “Fire Room”,  (Boiler Room), a few days and then wash them out.   BTW, my dad shipped in 1947. Went to Shanghai aboard USS St. Paul, CA-73, (Heavy Cruiser). He didn’t go to the pit until mid ‘48. So, while not regulation, at least for Pit Snipes, it was still being done post war. 

8 hours ago, sigsaye said:

My dad lived both of those. He preferred the “Flat Hat”, cap, because it looked cool. The dyed “White Hats”, because he was a “Snipe”, and they hit the dirt. He talked about dying White Hats down in the pit. They would get a bucket, full it full of ink, ( back when in came in bottles for refillable fountain pens and no one asked where the ink came from. Snipes didn’t need no ink!), and everyone tossing in older White hats. They’d let them “Cook” in the “Fire Room”,  (Boiler Room), a few days and then wash them out.   BTW, my dad shipped in 1947. Went to Shanghai aboard USS St. Paul, CA-73, (Heavy Cruiser). He didn’t go to the pit until mid ‘48. So, while not regulation, at least for Pit Snipes, it was still being done post war. 

thats pretty awesome hearing more of the process of dying. wish i coulda been in the navy several decades earlier. woulda loved the opportunity to wear the flat top

An odd thing. Back when I first enlisted, before the Navy decided to become the Marine Corps  Auxiliary, we were taught that we DID NOT WEAR “COVERS”. “Only Sh*t Cans and Grunts word Covers!”  Marines then countered with, “Only Old Ladies and Sailors wore hats”. Yes, we had the commands “Cover” and “Un Cover” for removing our Hats/Caps during inspections, but NEVER called them “Covers”.   I get times change. But I still can’t refer to my hat/cap as a cover. 

3 hours ago, sigsaye said:

An odd thing. Back when I first enlisted, before the Navy decided to become the Marine Corps  Auxiliary, we were taught that we DID NOT WEAR “COVERS”. “Only Sh*t Cans and Grunts word Covers!”  Marines then countered with, “Only Old Ladies and Sailors wore hats”. Yes, we had the commands “Cover” and “Un Cover” for removing our Hats/Caps during inspections, but NEVER called them “Covers”.   I get times change. But I still can’t refer to my hat/cap as a cover. 

hah, thats great, never heard that term before. now thats the kind of naval history i like