M1 Helmet Chin Cup help

elh1311

I recently acquired a mint 1951 CAPAC paratrooper liner with 49th Armored Division (now-defunct division of the Texas Army National Guard) decals on the side and Spec-5 decal on the front. The sweatband is from 1961 and the nape strap is most likely same era (too brittle to remove). 

The chin cup is what I'm trying to get a better handle on. There was a thread on here from 2014 that I looked at but seemed somewhat inconclusive. Thanks!

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

2.jpg

3 hours ago, ken88 said:

Vietnam era would be my guess, 60s maybe 70s? 

I'm thinking 1970's. I have several from the 1960's that are a herringbone weave material. This one is obviously not though it appears to be cotton. 

1 hour ago, elh1311 said:

I'm thinking 1970's. I have several from the 1960's that are a herringbone weave material. This one is obviously not though it appears to be cotton. 

You sure? I thought the ones form the 60s were also cotton. Just wondering since I've seen Vietnam airborne lids on here with that chinstrap.

28 minutes ago, Heptonic48 said:

You sure? I thought the ones form the 60s were also cotton. Just wondering since I've seen Vietnam airborne lids on here with that chinstrap.

I have no idea. I've searched here and Google for hours and am not any closer to an explanation. I've seen one for sale like this on eBay and the lister has no other info on it, simply states it's Vietnam era. 

I have 3 of these that I found with liners, all three were in 1950s - early 60s P55 liners with late 50s and 60s parts. I have also noticed them in other mid 1950s - early 1960s M1c helmets over the years. 

Myself and others think these could be from the mid 1950s when the liners changed from HBT to cotton.

I don't believe they are post Vietnam or 1980s has they have the US stamp which they stopped printing sometime in the late 60s onto the chincup. 

These also lack the horizontal stitch after the 3rd grommet on Vietnam and post Vietnam War cups.  

22 hours ago, Justin said:

I have 3 of these that I found with liners, all three were in 1950s - early 60s P55 liners with late 50s and 60s parts. I have also noticed them in other mid 1950s - early 1960s M1c helmets over the years. 

Myself and others think these could be from the mid 1950s when the liners changed from HBT to cotton.

I don't believe they are post Vietnam or 1980s has they have the US stamp which they stopped printing sometime in the late 60s onto the chincup. 

These also lack the horizontal stitch after the 3rd grommet on Vietnam and post Vietnam War cups.  

The liner itself is a 1951 CAPAC liner but it did have a 1961 sweatband in it. There's writing on the nape strap but I can't read and don't want to remove it. No doubt, there's some post-1951 parts on the liner. I had just never seen that type of chin cup though. So fair enough, it's mid-50's, early-60's chin cup. Back to the drawing board of acquiring an early 50's chin cup!

5 minutes ago, Heptonic48 said:

I found this picture of 1968 dated chin cups. It 's hard to see the weave though.

20210104_204603.jpg

These are not the same as the one in question 

28 minutes ago, Justin said:

These are not the same as the one in question 

That's correct, these look like they're of the herringbone weave material. Make of that what you will