Grouping of Pvt. Robert McMeekin

LYONSJ9

In the summer of 1917, roughly two months after President Wilson declared war on the German Empire, Philadelphia native Robert McMeekin answered the call to arms by volunteering for the Pennsylvania National Guard. After basic training and a short time served stateside, he along with millions of other eager young Americans made their way across the Atlantic to an uncertain fate in war ravaged Europe.

Serving in the 110th Infantry Regiment of the 28th Division, Robert would go on to see heavy action during the Champagne-Marne, Aisne-Marne, Oise-Aisne, and Meuse-Argonne Offensives.

It would be during the famed Meuse-Argonne Offensive on October 1st, 1918 that Robert would be wounded in action. Though the details of his wound are lost to time, it appears Robert was very lucky as his paperwork shows the wound as being “slight”. Nevertheless, McMeekin received his Columbia Acolade (a paper award granted for combat wounds) and honorably discharged after the war in 1919.

It would be roughly another 13 years and the lobbying of numerous famous WWI Veterans (including Douglas MacArthur) before the Columbia Accolade would finally be upgraded to a wearable Medal, the Purple Heart we all know of today. After being made aware of the newly instituted award, McMeekin applied for his Purple Heart and finally received it in June of 1935.

Unfortunately, I have not found more information on McMeekin, thankfully however, a photo of him was included with the medal grouping. Hopefully with time, more information on him may be found.

3ddbdf937b49aef9ebe57fe184789fc1.jpg

2ee0853c6e97ff060ff6deb0b639dc47.jpg

a3efac8632ba9d50a3594f97f96b4483.jpg

f11adbf2c6e97638123f9cd65bcc1c73.jpg

50828b20102a54ffa82e187460cd95a5.jpg

d15e179b849875511030269ecf024d8a.jpg

a3f084e814846bdfeecd7888f85f8326.jpg

d5a131624da609bd74d102d80584376e.jpg

30caf9e6805e77c7d48a5ebb6618e994.jpg

b89dbef74a1a471418cdf05e9bed5571.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You've probably already seen this but here is what the 110th Infantry Regiment history has listed for Pvt McMeekin (Pg 244-245):

"McMEEKIN, ROBERT (1240631) PFC. Co. F; Wounded Oct. 1, '18; Ret. to D. Feb. 19, '19; Disch. May 23, '19; (74-8) 1225 South 22nd Street, Philadelphia, Pa."

He may have been wounded "slightly" but he was out of action for over 3 months.

Dennis

Ditto, that is a great pair of medals, with the WWI Victory Medal having the proper clasps for the 28th ID.

Thank you!

You've probably already seen this but here is what the 110th Infantry Regiment history has listed for Pvt McMeekin (Pg 244-245):
"McMEEKIN, ROBERT (1240631) PFC. Co. F; Wounded Oct. 1, '18; Ret. to D. Feb. 19, '19; Disch. May 23, '19; (74-8) 1225 South 22nd Street, Philadelphia, Pa."

He may have been wounded "slightly" but he was out of action for over 3 months.
Dennis

Thank you! And thanks for the info on him!

1 hour ago, LYONSJ9 said:

Thank you! And thanks for the info on him!

Happy to help.  I have an item in my collection from a soldier in the 109th Infantry Regiment (Pvt Charles Walther of Lodi, CA) who was killed in action on October 1, 1918 about a mile from where Pvt McMeekin was wounded.  It appears to me that they were both casualties resulting from a German counterattack against the 28th Division at 0545 on Oct 1 which preempted the 28th Division's attack planned for 0600 that morning.  Pvt Walther was reported to have been killed by machine gun fire.  I walked that ground in October 2018.  If I have a picture of the area where I think Pvt McMeekin was wounded I'll post it.

Dennis

Happy to help.  I have an item in my collection from a soldier in the 109th Infantry Regiment (Pvt Charles Walther of Lodi, CA) who was killed in action on October 1, 1918 about a mile from where Pvt McMeekin was wounded.  It appears to me that they were both casualties resulting from a German counterattack against the 28th Division at 0545 on Oct 1 which preempted the 28th Division's attack planned for 0600 that morning.  Pvt Walther was reported to have been killed by machine gun fire.  I walked that ground in October 2018.  If I have a picture of the area where I think Pvt McMeekin was wounded I'll post it.
Dennis

Thank you Dennis! That would be awesome to see!

Trevor Arendall

I saw this on Facebook, what an amazing group! Always lovely to see a picture of the solider with the group. Well done!

I saw this on Facebook, what an amazing group! Always lovely to see a picture of the solider with the group. Well done!

Thank you Trevor! I’m pretty excited to have my first Purple Heart Group!

Trevor Arendall
11 hours ago, LYONSJ9 said:

Thank you Trevor! I’m pretty excited to have my first Purple Heart Group!

That's a really good first group to have! I am glad you are the caretaker of it. I know it will get the respect it deserves!

I'm attaching one picture of the area where I think it is likely Pvt McMeekin was wounded.  First, the bakgorund.

On September 30 the 28th Division was ordered to go over to the defense in the area they currently held and resume the attack on October 1 with the 110th Infantry planning to jump off at 0600.   On September 30, the 110th and 109th Infantries established a defense in depth in an around Apremont and south.  I and K Companies, 110th Infantry were in a strongpoint in the cemetery just north of Apremont.  E Company, 110th Infantry and a platoon of engineers were in strongpoint about 400 yards to the west of I and K companies.  The 109th Infantry held 2 other strongpoints in and south of Apremont and the rest of the 109th was in support in Apremont.  The 1st Battalion and the rest of 2nd Battalion 110th Infantry (including McMeekin’s F company) were in support at Montblainville about 1 ½ miles south of Apremont.  They occupied the old German trenches there.  Those were the positions held on the morning of October 1 when the German counterattack began.  The German artillery began its preparatory fire at 0530 from Bois de Taille Abbe about 2 miles west of Apremont and attacked at 0545.  Based on the 110th Infantry’s history, the German counterattack did not penetrate the strongpoints in and around Apremont and consequently did not get to Montblainville.  It would seem to me that under those circumstances, Pvt McMeekin was wounded in the trenches at Montblainville probably by shell fire from German artillery.  I think the range was too great and the terrain too intervening for him to have been wounded by machinegun barrage fire.

The attached photograph shows the village of Montblainville.  I took this picture on September 20, 2018 from Route D936 facing west.  Montblainville is the group of buildings just to the left of center.  The wooded area on the far right in the background is the approximate area the German artillery fired from on October 1, 1918.  The German counterattack went from right to left in this picture.  It's sunny and clear in this picture but on October 1, 1918 I think it was cold and raining.

If you PM me with your email address I’ll get you a copy of the photo that you should be able to edit.
Dennis

Montblainville.jpg

I'm attaching one picture of the area where I think it is likely Pvt McMeekin was wounded.  First, the bakgorund.

On September 30 the 28th Division was ordered to go over to the defense in the area they currently held and resume the attack on October 1 with the 110th Infantry planning to jump off at 0600.   On September 30, the 110th and 109th Infantries established a defense in depth in an around Apremont and south.  I and K Companies, 110th Infantry were in a strongpoint in the cemetery just north of Apremont.  E Company, 110th Infantry and a platoon of engineers were in strongpoint about 400 yards to the west of I and K companies.  The 109th Infantry held 2 other strongpoints in and south of Apremont and the rest of the 109th was in support in Apremont.  The 1st Battalion and the rest of 2nd Battalion 110th Infantry (including McMeekin’s F company) were in support at Montblainville about 1 ½ miles south of Apremont.  They occupied the old German trenches there.  Those were the positions held on the morning of October 1 when the German counterattack began.  The German artillery began its preparatory fire at 0530 from Bois de Taille Abbe about 2 miles west of Apremont and attacked at 0545.  Based on the 110th Infantry’s history, the German counterattack did not penetrate the strongpoints in and around Apremont and consequently did not get to Montblainville.  It would seem to me that under those circumstances, Pvt McMeekin was wounded in the trenches at Montblainville probably by shell fire from German artillery.  I think the range was too great and the terrain too intervening for him to have been wounded by machinegun barrage fire.

The attached photograph shows the village of Montblainville.  I took this picture on September 20, 2018 from Route D936 facing west.  Montblainville is the group of buildings just to the left of center.  The wooded area on the far right in the background is the approximate area the German artillery fired from on October 1, 1918.  The German counterattack went from right to left in this picture.  It's sunny and clear in this picture but on October 1, 1918 I think it was cold and raining.

If you PM me with your email address I’ll get you a copy of the photo that you should be able to edit.
Dennis

Montblainville.jpg.d88c836f3669bfb6f65406d264844837.jpg

Wow! Thank you Dennis! I’ll PM you.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, nice full story with the history of the unit, day and surroundings included.

Regards
Herman 

Thank you Herman!