Favorite Finds of 2020

cwnorma

Well, this dumpster fire of a year is finally in the rear-view mirror.

For most of us, 2020 has meant fewer shows, and less "beating the bushes" for the collections.  Still, I have been fortunate enough to find a piece or two.  Perhaps you did as well?

So in that spirit, as we do here every year, please post your favorite finds of 2020.  It doesn't have to be the rarest, or most expensive, (although that's fine too!)--just your favorites.  Ill start:

2020.jpg.bda73287828c7020dd85882fcbab13ec.jpg

Top: H.L. Judd manufactured cast iron picture frame with integral WW1 Military Aviator wing for Air Service.  I have known about these frames for a long time, but never had a chance to pick one up.  I finally got one, now I just need to find an appropriate portrait to put in it.

Bottom: 1st Aero Company, NYNG collar disk (briefly Federalized in 1916 for Mexican border service but disbanded before shipping out and becoming part of the Aviation Section Signal Corps in 1917).  A scarce early aviation disk.

Let's see your bright spots in an otherwise dreadful year!

Chris

It’s from a B-17F L/H Stabilizer Assembly..got it from a vet who removed it from a ship...unfortunately no ID..this is the type of piece in production

D50842C4-154C-4979-AF7F-104FC89B85CE.jpeg

CavalryCombatant

Excited to see everyone’s finds.  Mine would probably be a named wwii/postwar first marine tunic I posted in the uniforms section a few days back.

Hope everyone has a happy new year,

CC

Favorite Wing....I’ve done the research...

2nd Lt. Robert H. Wirostek was the Navigator aboard the St. Quentin Quail 42-41205 when it ditched on January 2, 1944,due to battle damage. The aircraft ditched off Jab'u Island on the Arno Atoll. Another aircraft from the Squadron dropped emergency rations and reported seeing 6 or 7 crew members hauling equipment from the plane onto the beach. Of the 10 man crew, two were KIA either from the Zero attack or from the ditching. They were buried by the other 8 survivors. The survivors ( one of them was Wirostek) were housed and fed by the Marshallese from ditching till January 16, 1944 when a Japanese Patrol boat appeared and took them prisoner. They were transported to Maloelap Atoll and remained there till Jan. 20, 1944 when they were placed on a Japanese Vessel and , on Jan. 22, 1944 as the ship was entering Kwajalein Lagoon it was attacked by U.S. bombers. One of the prisoners was killed. The remaining 7 prisoners perished between then and Feb. 3, 1944, when U.S. Troops captured the Atoll. They have never been found.

C0EA4BED-0921-4853-B75D-F64FBA22A64A.jpeg

CC3C579D-3264-4FFE-99C1-33D07146E9A1.jpeg

Here are some of my better 2020 pickups. Not sure I have a favorite, but I am partial to ID'd wings. The Aerial Gunner belonged to Staff Sergeant Irving Baldwin, KIA when his B-24 went down on a mission to Blechhammer Poland on 11/20/44...

IMG_3187.jpeg.9e9569802320bc297a52fa9315bc18c5.jpeg

This is one of my favorites that I picked up in 2020, a Bell 3" Glider.  I had been trying to find one for awhile. (Now I need to find the coin silver version!) 

20201107_181216.jpg

20201107_181124.jpg

5thwingmarty

This one just made it into the collection in 2020, and is the only Link pattern wing I have.  I didn't realize these have spans almost as big as Lampl wings at just a hair under 3-1/4".

Marty

Link Observer Front.JPG

Link Observer Rear.JPG

Here was my most interesting wing acquisition of 2020. I believe these to date to WWII with the drop in catch. It is unmarked. I invite opinions and discussion. Sorry, but I don't know why they have shown up sideways. I cannot seem to correct it.

Allan

IMG_1222[1].JPG

IMG_1221[1].JPG

On 1/3/2021 at 10:49 AM, Allan H. said:

Here was my most interesting wing acquisition of 2020. I believe these to date to WWII with the drop in catch. It is unmarked. I invite opinions and discussion. Sorry, but I don't know why they have shown up sideways. I cannot seem to correct it.

Allan

IMG_1222[1].JPG

IMG_1221[1].JPG

If I'm not mistaken a bunch of these came out of the Harry S. Wosk Army-Navy Store in San Diego but have never been identified as to manufacture.  

Not many pickups for me last year but I was happy to add these 3. 2 x UK made wings (the Bombardier is much less common than the Air Crew of the same pattern) and a relatively early US-made Observer.

Happy New Year to all!

Mike

3xUS-Obv1.jpg

3xUS-Rev1.jpg

By the looks of what all has been posted in this thread, it appears our aerial badge collecting hobby is alive and well!  Wonderful acquisitions! Thank you all for your shared images...