Differences between M9A1 and M9A2 Rifle Grenades?

Persian Gulf Command

Persian Gulf Command

What are the differences between a M9A1 and M9A2 Rifle Grenade?

Thanks in advance for the information!

Happy New Year to All!!!

Dirt Detective

My book says the M9A1 was modified and redesignated M9A2 in March of 51.  It looks like the mod was the replacement of the M18 detonator with the T4E1 ( better resistance to corrosion.)

Persian Gulf Command

I have these photos that were posted by a fellow member showing a Rifle Grenade Designated as M9A2.  Note the middle M9 (first photo) and the M9 (second photo) also identified as a M9A2.

I would just like some clarification if such a designation was applied to these projectiles. 

M9A1 1943,43-44, M9A2 1951, T-41M28 1051, M31 1955.jpg

M9A2.jpg

17 hours ago, Persian Gulf Command said:

I have these photos that were posted by a fellow member showing a Rifle Grenade Designated as M9A2.  Note the middle M9 (first photo) and the M9 (second photo) also identified as a M9A2.

I would just like some clarification if such a designation was applied to these projectiles. 

M9A1 1943,43-44, M9A2 1951, T-41M28 1051, M31 1955.jpg

M9A2.jpg

These are from my collection. My understanding is that it was discovered that many of the M9A1's from WWII had deteriorated significantly when they were broke out for Korea. New AT grenades were updated with the new detonator and new fin design and re-designated as the M9A2. A fellow collector I know has a Korean War dated crate the is labeled M9A2.

Persian Gulf Command

Latewatch,

You corroborated the information from DD regarding the replacement of the detonators on the M9A2.

Thank you for the information about the M9A2 and additional photo.  It was the designation from your photos that brought me to ask this question about the M9A2 characteristics.

Do you know the purpose of the clamp placed between the stabilizer section and where the detonator was inserted?

The clamp is a positive safety pin, that must be removed just prior to firing. When fired, the pin remains at the rear of the fin body due to inertia. Upon impact the striker, or firing pin, will move forward detonating the grenade 

The stabilizer tube was also pressed together rather than riveted. It is similar to those found on the m11a3 and a4 practice grenades. The new safety as opposed to the earlier hairpin style included a sealant as shown in the picture previously posted to prevent moisture from entering the firing chain.  It was also used on later bazooka, rifle smoke grenades, etc.