What are these Marine squadron patches?

Dave

I have these coming from a seller who got them from a storage unit. From what I know, the pilot flew from 1943 to 1953, so they date from that time period (I'm assuming?) These are the seller's photos...I'll post up better ones (if needed) when the patches are in hand. 

I know little to nothing about squadron patches, so any help is appreciated!

Dave

Screenshot_18.jpg

Screenshot_19.jpg

57 minutes ago, Dave said:

I have these coming from a seller who got them from a storage unit. From what I know, the pilot flew from 1943 to 1953, so they date from that time period (I'm assuming?) These are the seller's photos...I'll post up better ones (if needed) when the patches are in hand. 

I know little to nothing about squadron patches, so any help is appreciated!

Dave

Screenshot_18.jpg

Screenshot_19.jpg

Dave,

The first one is VMF 115, the second one is VMF 213. 

-Colby

This VMF-115 design is definitely Korean War period as the WW2 versions depict a cigar smoking F4-U Corsair which characterizes Joe Foss, the squadron commander. The patch was redesigned in Japan and is Japanese made by New Itami Studios and should have a white silken backing. If it has a black backing it could be a reunion piece, still Japanese made, but post Korean War. There are also 2 variants that I've seen of this design. One with a blue disc behind the aircraft carrier, and another with a white disc. Still unsure as to why, but possibly to denote diffrent flights within the squadron.

I just got the patches in the mail, and I must say the VMF-115 blew me away. The photos don't do it justice. Really a gorgeous patch. Here are photos of all four, from the same pilot.

I'm waiting for his medals and a scrapbook that were sent separately. I can post a thread about those when they arrive (they were sent a week before these patches...but USPS...)

usmc_aviator_patches_.jpg

usmc_aviator_patches__1.jpg

usmc_aviator_patches__2.jpg

usmc_aviator_patches__3.jpg

usmc_aviator_patches__4.jpg

usmc_aviator_patches__5.jpg

usmc_aviator_patches__6.jpg

usmc_aviator_patches__7.jpg

Question for the group...was there a silver variation of the VMF-115 patch? This one was on eBay and it looks silver...or is it just tarnished gold bullion? 

This is the only other one I've been able to find to compare it to. 

Screenshot_28.jpg

Screenshot_29.jpg

Also found this one, definitely formerly gold. It's in not-so-great shape, but you can tell it was gold vs silver. Just wondering if there are multiple variations in the bullion color, and if so, what they mean.

Thanks!

Screenshot_30.jpg

Screenshot_31.jpg