USMC WW1 Certificate and Photo Grouping

bertmedals

I collect WW1 militaria but limit it primarily to US Army material.  Nevertheless, I saw this group at a local estate sale that was being auctioned online last week and decided to bid on it not expecting to win it.  As luck would have it, I did win it.  So here it is.

This is a group of certificates and photo for Private John Brown Russell, USMC from Toledo, Ohio.  From the information I have received from the auction company thus far, the grouping was left in the attic of a house in Hudson, Ohio that was recently sold and conveyed with its contents.  The grouping was found by the new owners and appeared to have been untouched for a number of years.  The new owners had no attachment to the grouping and decided to sell it along with other items that had been left in the house when it was sold.

John Brown Russell was born in 1898 in Toledo, Ohio.  He joined the Marine Corps in January 1918 and shipped out to France in Company L, 5th Marine Regiment in May 1918 (passenger roster on Fold 3).  According to his entry in “The Official Roster of Ohio Soldiers, Sailors and Marines in the World War 1917-18” (Volume 22, page 585) he participated in all the 2nd Divisions campaigns: Champagne-Marne, Ainse-Marne, St. Mihiel, and Meuse Argonne, and also qualified for the Defensive Sector bar for his Victory Medal.  He was wounded in action on Nov 3, 1918 southeast of Buzanzy.  His entry in the Ohio Official Roster indicates he was awarded the “Fourragere” (meaning French Croix de Guerre Fourragere).  John Russell died in 1963.  His application for a veteran’s headstone indicates he was awarded the Purple Heart and Fourragere.  He is buried at the Crown Hill Cemetery in Twinsburg, Ohio.  Unfortunately, Find-a-Grave does not have a memorial for him and I have not yet made the trip to Twinsburg to get a photo of his headstone and create the memorial.

I haven’t found much about his post-WW1 life other than he was remained in the USMCR for several years after the war.

The grouping consists of framed certificates and photos as follows:

1.      His Marine Corps War Service Certificate indicating service in the 4th Brigade, AEF

2.      A large portrait photo of him in uniform wearing a campaign hat and shouldering an M-1903 rifle.

3.      His official Marine Corps copy of the French Army-level Citation awarded to the 5th Marine Regiment for their action at Blanc Mont, October 1918

4.      His official English translation of the 5th Marine Regiment citation for Blanc Mont (#3 above)

5.      His official English translation of the 5th Marine Regiment French Army-level citation for their action at Soissons (July 18, 1918)

6.      His official English translation of the 4th Brigade French Army-level citation for Belleau Wood

7.      A second official English translation of the 4th Brigade French Army level citation for Belleau Wood (slightly different in format from #6, above)

8.      A “yard long” photo of an unrelated AEF Army organization. I’m not sure why this was with the John Russell material.  The photo shows 13 Army officers (LT to MAJ/LTC) in service uniform in the front row and a large group of enlisted men in shirtsleeves.  All but 1 officer have 2 overseas stripes. Most are wearing SSI’s that appear to be for the Advanced Sector and the collar insignia that is visible all are Medical Corps.  There is writing on the front of the photo indicating “Camp #21” and what I believe to be “White Stud B’wy N. Y. C.” probably standing for White Photo Studio, Broadway, New York City. White’s Photo Studio was a theatrical and portrait photography studio on Broadway in New York City founded by Luther S. White (1857-1936).  White’s was Broadway’s leading photographer for theatrical productions and its archive is now held by the New York Public Library.  This is likely a photo from another family member as yet unidentified. 

Here is a copy of his full Ohio Official Roster entry:

“RUSSELL, JOHN BROWN

306466, White,

Toledo, O.

USMC Toledo, O. Jan 27/18. Br Toledo, O. Aug, 14/98. Parris Island SC Jan 19/18; Quantico Va Apr 17/18; France May 7/18; 56 Co June 11/18; 45 Co Sept 6/18; SOSH [Service of Supplies Hospital] Nov 3/18; Quantico Va Aug 9/19; Inactive status RD [Reserve Division] 7 Aug 19/19; Eastern RD Oct 1/19. Champagne-Marne ; Aisne-Marne; St Mihiel; Meuse Argonne ; Defensive Sector. WIA Nov 3/18. AEF May 7/18 to July 25/19. Disch Jan 26/22. Char [character] exe. Awd Fourragere. File no 107683.”

I have not been able to determine what became of his Purple Heart, Columbia WIA certificate and other memorabilia, if any of it still exists.  But…the hunt continues.

Several pictures follow. First, a picture of the entire group then pictures of the individual pieces.

Thanks for taking the time to read the post.

Dennis

20201228_124031 3.jpg

20201228_122536 3.jpg

20201228_122643 3.jpg

20201228_122751 3.jpg

20201228_122759 3.jpg

3 minutes ago, tdogchristy90 said:

Dennis, 

I’m a sucker for ephemera groups and this is the best I’ve seen in awhile. Great group there, sir.

Thanks very much. This was another fun one to figure out. I'm still working on the "yard long" photo but I think I'm getting close.

Dennis

27 minutes ago, warguy said:

Thanks very much for sharing, This is a very nice find with a lot of documentation attributed to a hard fought Marine. 

Thanks.  He almost made it all the way through without being hit, too.  I recently picked up a single item for another WW1 Marine from New Jersey with an interesting story.  I'll post that one in a few days.

Dennis

2 hours ago, Trevor Arendall said:

Wow, what an amazing group. I always like to see a picture of the solider with their other items. Thank you for sharing! 

Thanks very much.

22 minutes ago, French Sam said:

Very nice group ! Thanks for sharing !  ;-)

FS

Thank you. It was enjoyable researching the group.

Dennis