Was told this is a WW2 B-24 escape axe! Is this true....

ssgmac

An older WW2 crewmember on a B-24 told me this was essentially a crash axe hanging in the airplane, no markings, really minty, have owned it for at least 30 years! 

thanks in advance

Sean

IMG_3999[1].JPG

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/rare-early-unusual-axe-hatchet-aircraft-rescue-tool-forged-unsigned-mystery.235816/

there are a few online sources saying this could be an early crash ax...maybe civilian? but a cool ax to have

but unlike any USGI that I have seen...the common crash ax

here is a thread on the common crash ax

TheCrustyBosun

Could we see a photo of the axe by itself?  The surroundings make the cutting edge of the axe unclear. The bayonet hiding underneath as well as that .45 also look interesting. 

Is the axe 14-inches, one pound head?

if so, it matches the specs. So it has a chance.

Small hand axes, like this pattern,  were used on aircraft, but not always a standard accruement. Another consideration is a tool used by crash crews, chopping their way into the aircraft. The latter was actually the intention of the emergency axe in the linked post. 

TheCrustyBosun
5 hours ago, ssgmac said:

Compared to a  standard issue 1942 US Hatchet...

IMG_4006[1].JPG

IMG_4007[1].JPG

IMG_4008[1].JPG

Thanks for posting those. Very interesting. I’ve never seen an axe like this. 

When I made my post, I completely disregarded the unique edge on the axe. I guess my eyes were fooled with it sitting over too many back ground distractions in the original image. The axes used during the second world war had a full edge, rather a typical hatchet or axe sharpened edge. They were not special, they even called them Boy Scout axes and all were commercially available. 

TheCrustyBosun
On 12/31/2020 at 4:48 PM, Jpage said:

We carry a similar axe on our crash/rescue rigs, for battering a way through a fuselage.

Could you take a picture of one of them and post for comparison?  Thanks. 

I was curious at the similar edge in the GI Joe gear image. They had to get that idea from somewhere. Wonder if that was a later type axe?

TheCrustyBosun
38 minutes ago, dmar836 said:

I was curious at the similar edge in the GI Joe gear image. They had to get that idea from somewhere. Wonder if that was a later type axe?

It’s interesting to see how many uniforms, equipment, and vehicles Hasbro used as inspiration for the GI Joe line of toys, especially the “3 inch” era figures of the 1980’s and 90’s.