M1907 ? Fuse Cutaway

mds308

Not sure on model.  The half I have only has stamped LOT 1878.  I don't think it's an M1907.  Was this for training purposes?  Any ideas on value?  Thanks.  

IMG_2284.JPG

• 4 months later...
frijoles108

Hi Mds, this is a british no85 fuze, which were produced in the USA for the british during ww1. It essentially is a m1907 fuze that we had been using with our 75mm and 3 inch shells before world war 1. When we began doing foreign sales to equip the british army, we just modified the fuze to have a larger base to fit adaptors for british shrapnel shells (they were always found on 18 pounders). These are pretty common fuzes, and this side section looks to me like it was done by someone at home (definitely not a official instructional example). 

looking at the cutaway, one must think of the time spent machining these darn things. and how many must have been made, wow

frijoles108

And then to imagine all those man hours by various people put into a single fuze, only to be expended of its use within seconds. 

• 1 month later...

On the left is a U.S. made N0.85 fuze for British ammo. On the right is a U.S. made M1907. Note the difference in the threaded portion.  P.S. The Lusitania was carrying a lot of these No.85 fuzes. British practice was to ship the fuzes separate from the shell.

M1907 No.85 fuze (left), U.S. M1907 fuze (right).JPG