PFC JOHN K. MOHRLANG'S MESS KIT RECOVERY!

JJM

An ASTOUNDING piece of news for those of you who knew my father Gary (GLM) and have read his posts regarding his Uncle John Mohrlang in the Ephemera/Photos section of USMF: our family is in the process of recovering a portion of John's personalized mess kit! Yesterday I spoke with a wonderful and knowledgeable gentleman named Durk Steed who was fortunate to visit Tarawa Atoll in 1987 and again in 1994. During his first visit he uncovered PFC Mohrlang's mess tin in about six inches of water on Red 3. Due to the sea growth he could not make out anything other than the stenciled letters J and M, and the mess kit has remained undisturbed in a box for over 20 years! Last Thursday, after successfully cleaning a piece of LVT track, he carefully removed the sea growth to discover "Mohrlang, J.K." electropenciled in one spot, "J.K.M" in another, and "Jan 1942" in yet another. He related to me that it was a very emotional moment when he discovered my Great Uncle's name on the DOW list in Sherrod's book. From there he discovered the fantastic profile my Dad had written about John on 'Tarawa on the Web' and immediately contacted me via another wonderful gentleman there, Jon Stevens. We are all extremely grateful to Mr. Steed for his generous offer to return such a providential find to the family! Here is a photo of John (taken in New Zealand in March of '43) along with the three photos I have so far of the metal mess gear my Great Uncle carried from his enlistment with the Marines in early '42, through Guadalcanal, and on to Betio. Here also is a link to John K. Mohrlang's profile on 'Tarawa on the Web': http://tarawaontheweb.org/mohrlang.htm.

Regards,

Jeff

post-3119-1232912368.jpg

Jeff - That is quite a great find and story. That your Dad would have been thrilled is a huge understatement! Thank you for sharing. thumbsup.gif

Semper Fi.......Bob

Jeff: I want to echo BobGee's sentiments, your dad would have been proud and pleased with the discovery! And I am very happy for your family.

Jeff,

That is just fantastic! It only goes to show once again what a small world it has become.

I salute Mr. Steed for his kindness in returning it to your family. thumbsup.gif I know Gary is smiling.

Greg Robinson

Jeff

Congrats on finding that messkit. No doubt, your dad would have been thrilled about this as I'm sure the whole family is.

And I just read his write up re your great uncle. Outstanding and moving profile and what a great webite that is.....I didn't know it existed before today.

Col. Joseph H. Alexander has written a fantastic book on the Tarawa atoll campaign.....a must read. Titled "Utmost Savagery.....The Three Days of Tarawa".

Greg

wow! yet another case of extreme luck and the power of the internet and this forum in reuniting long-lost equipment with family members. Too cool thumbsup.gif

• 3 months later...