Ike jacket rehab

Blacksmith

I recently purchased an Ike jacket, that spent a LONG time balled up in a duffle bag.  As such, it is pretty wrinkly, to the point that 100 years on a hanger won’t settle it down.

I was going to get it dry cleaned, but found the veterans laundry number under the collar in what looks like pen / thin marker.

So I am wondering what you all think is best - maybe approaches you’ve taken - to rehab this jacket without endangering the laundry number.

Thank you.

4 minutes ago, Bob Hudson said:

What do you intend to do with the jacket, display it, wear it , re-sell it?

Ah, good question Bob, thank you.  I plan to display it.  

“Wear it”, LOL.  I’ve never seen one of these I could come close to getting into.

I have a steamer - the stand-up type with a hose and wand hanging on a pole. It has proven itself invaluable for many of my hobbies. So much so I replaced a cheaper one I had with a better one.

I bet that treatment would do it justice.

As far as "rehab"ing it, I have never been a fan of restoring "what the vet would have had" on a jacket. Not that you are saying you do that but those inevitably end up on the market and soon loose their "restored" caveat.

Dave

Thank you Dave, for the steamer idea.  

And, I totally agree, and should have defined “rehab” better.  I am referring solely to making the jacket less wrinkly.  I would not / am not adding anything to it.

There are numerous topics on this, with different schools of thought, but I am a ‘leave as-is’ practitioner.

Thanks again.