20MM SHELL '1953' - ID PLEASE

INIMICUS

would really appreciate identification of this round, i.e. origin and colors -- head is white, primer red, and if I'm right about the '53.' of course I hope the white band means inert/dummy. also, tho primer looks fired and case seems t/b empty of  loosepropellant when shaken, the head is intact and maybe active; so I'd guess not legal to ship. also I'd guess not smart to try and pull it out. thanks, stay strong and good hunting!

DSC00713 copy.JPG

DSC00711 copy.JPG

Looking through TMs I can find no reference for white painted projectiles. Gold, Blue, black, black with red tips,...which would leave me to the conclusion it is a repaint. As the casing has been fired, I suspect a loose unfired projectile was obtained ( many were surplused) to fill the hole and painted white. Most ( with the exception of navy projectiles) projectiles of that era that were “painted “ were not painted in enamel based , but a thinner fast drying lacquer. Just my 2C.

Disregard! Correction. I found an old Oerlikon 20mm color coding chart from WW2- guess what? US HE was noted as “ painted white “. Learning something new everyday. 

01B353A9-494E-43EA-8A0E-E3C51AE4C233.jpeg

Thanks for the head's-up!  but this projo is more pointy, the reglar oerlicon's are clipped /  flat-tops, right? and can you ID the maker code?

Sorry, my knowledge is limited with Navy ordnance. Naval ordnance is a whole different matter, from nomenclature to color codings. There are many strange combinations, terminologies, and harder to find directives. As an ordnance collector, I am wondering why you have a WW2 colored projectile, in a Korean War era casing. If you can get better close ups of the projectile ( and dimensions) I can post your piece on the BOCN ordnance website. I have found they can ID anything and everything ordnance related.

Thanks a lot for the further help.  no idea about the mating -- got it this way.  will try and get the pix and dimensions.  for nDSC00745.JPG.9b1b5e41e7f7da59b29168b5ee9d527b.JPGow, also got a brass 'mushroom top' fuse w/o any marks (brit 18-pounder WWI?) and a 44mm projo with 1917 etc. date.  I was thinking maybe german or german.  here they are, again grateful for the eyes-on!

DSC00746.JPG

DSC00744.JPG

DSC00743.JPG

DSC00742.JPG

DSC00741.JPG

DSC00740.JPG

Q.: what does the brass conical fuse have no time or other marks?   salesman's sample?  thanks or all comments and to 917601 for being willing to share these with the other guys!

• 10 months later...

The 20mm round posted at the beginning of this thread is a Swiss made 20x139mm Oerlikon for the Swiss Model 1938 Oerlikon cannon adopted by the Swiss military in 1938. Lot 75, 1953. The letters DCA at the 7,6,5 o'clock position refere to metal supplier, case maker etc.

1978398659_DSC00713copy.JPG.9957d4ee45c57d9946fbab7c8e95cc3d.jpg

602765168_DSC00711copy.JPG.06e95a7609c9edebfc76efb0f1327eba.jpg