USMC aviation trench art

Brian Keith

I picked this trench art ash tray up at one of the few shows this year. USMC trench art is less common and USMC aviation even less so. This example is made from the top of a piston, using spark plugs as legs. It has a folded flat brass match box holder featuring a dress EGA on each side. On the front is a miniature Naval (and USMC) aviator badge. Likely the piston is from an aircraft, but I don’t know. It is unusual to me as it has holes drilled around the sides, likely for oil distribution? If anyone could held ID the engine the piston came from that would be excellent! It measures just less than 5 inches in diameter. The trench art looks to be WW II vintage, but without veteran history, it could be post war into the 1950’s. Aircraft maintenance facilities would have the equipment and the skilled folks to make this, either on an aircraft carrier, or an airfield. I’m trying hard to resist the urge to “clean it up”!

Thanks for looking.

BKW

PC280237.JPG

PC280241.JPG

PC280240.JPG

Very cool piece. I can only chime in on the enlisted EGA which is pre-WWII, 20's and 30's. I'll be interested to see other opinions on this piece.

19 minutes ago, b_hinch said:

Very cool piece. I can only chime in on the enlisted EGA which is pre-WWII, 20's and 30's. I'll be interested to see other opinions on this piece.

In edition to the early ega’s, I think the wing is also pre WWII, sans the “berries” in the shoulders commonly seen in later pieces. I think because of these features, this piece it is likely pre WWII. I know pistons were occasionally used as ash trays. I like it a lot! 

26 minutes ago, warguy said:

In edition to the early ega’s, I think the wing is also pre WWII, sans the “berries” in the shoulders commonly seen in later pieces. I think because of these features, this piece it is likely pre WWII. I know pistons were occasionally used as ash trays. I like it a lot! 

Nice catch, Kevin! I'm no expert on the wings. Looks like you may have a very nice pre-war piece. Would love to find out where the piston fit!

WOW! Thanks for the great comments and information. I didn't expect it to be as interesting as it has turned out to be. Here is a better shot of the EGA. Pre-WW II USMC Aviation is very cool! I briefly pulled out my copy of the EGA book by Klie, but didn't dig into it to ID the EGA's.

Best Regards!

BKW

PC280248.JPG

• 1 year later...

It would seem that I have a sister to your ashtray. These are pre WW2 and the plugs are early. My piston is also just under 5 inches. These ashtrays have quite a bit of character.

IMG_5880[1].JPG

IMG_5883[1].JPG

IMG_5882[1].JPG

IMG_5881[1].JPG

Brian Keith

Very Cool and Thanks for posting it in this thread! 

I think you are correct, made by the same person/shop! My wings are smaller, only 1 1/2 inches wide. Your wings appear to be full sized. It also appears that yours has lost the match box holder, notice the holes in your third photo. 

And, of course, mine belonged to a smoker!

Much Thanks for posting your example!

BKW

A really, as has been said, "Cool" piece!!  Thanks for sharing it with us.

I really like the pre-war suggestion.

Steve