US Navy Repair Locker Battle Helmets "An off the rack survey" 1960's to the end "

topdcnut

I am pretty sure the Statute of limitations has expired on this so I am going to open up a discussion on Rep Lkr Battle helmets. These came from a case of M1's that arrived on the USS Davis in 1981. We did not need new helmets but it was time to upgrade and a discussion has begun. 

IMG_3585.JPG

Now to the helmet, In 1981 I sat in front of a case of M1 shells and liners, of course they were spray painted red and the liners have the original red spray paint. At a point before we deployed to the Med we received these and to this day I dread those clips "6" in the sweat band. This helmet however is painted by myself some years ago to commemorate the helmet I wore back then. Now to the rub........... my quest or interest is in the Helmets we pulled of the rack, in my experience the sweat bands were always set at the largest setting and that was because Number 1 was that we all shared the helmets and so most of just wore the M1 over a Ball cap. All that I want to see from this post is that if you have a DC related Pot how is the sweat band set? When I can dig them up I will post some ball caps worn under an M1 pot

IMG_3609.JPG

Not Navy

I was infantry but I did wear a steel pot for the first 5 years or so.

I always wore a soft cap under my helmet and my sweat band was as far as it would go.

My melon is around 7  3/4 and with the soft cap on, there was no room to

tighten the sweat band.

Here is a pic of my old pot. I had just put in a new sweat band when they called to turn them in for the kevlars.

I turned in another one and kept mine. I always caught flak for wearing the soft cap under it until I cut the brim off of an older cap and then I caught no more flak. To me it was not comfortable at all with out the soft cap on for long periods of time.

DSCF3506.JPG

DSCF3507.JPG

Excellent informative post! Thanks! I wish I had thought to keep my M1 when they were replaced with the kevlar. I did keep my deployment helmet.

BKW