Pack Poncho Shovel and shelter half.

The Rooster

Greetings to all.

I would have made this post just about the shelter half because thats all I really wanted out of this set but I thought

I would include the whole thing as I dont know a thing about these packs and was hoping to learn something and

get you field gear collectors knowledgable thoughts on the setup as a whole. Was billed as a early Vietnam era setup.  I cant tell a thing about the shovel. No description was provided and

like I mentioned I was chiefly after the shelter half.'

The shovel carrier looks strange to me. ??? But I dont know enough to judge anything but the shelter half.

Thank you.

mfg.jpg

nt.jpg

mg.jpg

.iuyf.jpg

my.jpg

mhg.jpg

uil.jpg

fgn.jpg

nt.jpg

bf.jpg

mgh.jpg

So far, that appears to be a period-correct rig, and a dang nice one at that.

That Shelter Half is a real prize, though it belongs on a Marine Corps Pack rather than an Army rig.

The pack is an Army M-1945. They were used from the end of WWII until replaced by the M1956 series gear in the 1960s. The e-tool and cover were also from WWII. My Marine Corps reserve unit was still issuing wooden handled e-tools with covers like the one pictured c.1981-85!

The green side-brown side cammie shelter half is US Marine Corps. I will leave it to others to date it. They were long gone before I enlisted in 1975. I've only seen photos of them. They are valued by collectors.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, 'Flage Guy said:

So far, that appears to be a period-correct rig, and a dang nice one at that.

That Shelter Half is a real prize, though it belongs on a Marine Corps Pack rather than an Army rig.

8 hours ago, GUDMAR1975 said:

The pack is an Army M-1945. They were used from the end of WWII until replaced by the M1956 series gear in the 1960s. The e-tool and cover were also from WWII. My Marine Corps reserve unit was still issuing wooden handled e-tools with covers like the one pictured c.1981-85!

The green side-brown side cammie shelter half is US Marine Corps. I will leave it to others to date it. They were long gone before I enlisted in 1975. I've only seen photos of them. They are valued by collectors.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comments guys.

We were issued shovels like these in the early 1980's in my guard unit.

We had to turn them in around mid decade for those folding black shovels that fit into that ugly light green plastic case.

I promptly broke several of the new ones on tree roots etc. They were garbage.

I really missed my old e tool.

They also at that time took away our 1960's era air matresses and replaced them with that cruddy bulky foam roll.

And also took away our steel pots and replaced them with the terrible kevlar helmet.

Progress !!!  lol

Im liking the shelter half. Its only missing a gromet. Even has its tag better still. Its in much better shape than the salty one I picked up a couple of weeks ago.

But I have a complete set now and 2 sets of ww2 stakes and folding poles. I;l be picking up some ropes next and a few or those mitchell pattern

cargo straps.