Time Capsules As Found - The Story of the Bring Back Box

Airborne-Hunter

Airborne-Hunter

Resurrecting this thread for my latest find. A lady was folding what looked like some fabric, but the colors immediately caught my eye. When I got over there, it was a Kriegs flag and when I asked about other stuff they handed me a cigar box. The flag is balled up in the upper right corner and I left the cigar box out of the photo, but this is everything someone brought back from the war. I figure it's been in a hope chest ever since because of the cedar smell. Best ABN

IMG_0420 (2).JPG

• 1 month later...

Flag and original package and bring-back paper.  This was sent home by Corporal Vernon Shafer, of D Company, 83rd Armored Reconnaissance Battalion.

The capture document accompanying this flag also states two bottles of perfume.

20200521_205654.jpg

20200521_205705.jpg

20200521_205730a.JPG

• 2 months later...

I’ll show mine, mailed home & purchased from the vets grandson.  

Photo of him picking up the Luft helmet at Tempelhof airport. 

74560E41-C821-456B-A12E-9485C9F9FBF7.jpeg

7573EEB0-ADE9-45A9-BC94-8179F5265BD7.jpeg

2CFDB5B0-FB60-4547-A9FF-B8583579494F.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/5/2021 at 11:42 AM, Airborne-Hunter said:

There was an estate sale when I was 13 years old down the street from me and somehow I managed to get my parents to let me skip a little bit of class on Friday to go. In the garage, there was a duffle bag of gear that I dumped out. There was a shovel cover, a shirt, some socks, a musette bag, some overseas hats, some other miscellaneous stuff and at the bottom was this hat. The first picture shows how the hat came out of the duffle bag and I remember pawing it and seeing the red interior thinking I've seen this before, but I didn't know what it was. It looked like an English driver hat, but, again, the red interior keep me thinking and being a dumb teenager I put it on my fist and started spinning it. At some point it flopped open and I realized why it seemed so familiar. In retrospect, I somewhat wish I had bought everything to keep it together, but also I think its symbolic that someone threw this in their duffle bag and that's where it sat since the end of the war. Being so young I didn't get the name of the vet or anything. Best ABN

IMG_2795.JPG

IMG_2796.JPG

IMG_2797.JPG

IMG_2798.JPG

IMG_2799.JPG

IMG_2800.JPG

I have a couple that could be twins to your cap. Found them at a estate auction in the early 90s

• 1 month later...
Airborne-Hunter

I've been dormant on this thread for a long time and thought it a good time for an update. Alot of things have come out since the last time I posted, most notably, I was able to find two separate bring back boxes, with contents, from two separate sellers at the same flea market a couple of weeks ago. First up is a box sent home by a medical officer attached to the 1871st Aviation Engineer Battalion. The box was found, open, in the basement of the house addressed on it. From what I can tell, it appears the vet bought the house new in 1939, moved in and then when he passed his son moved in. His son recently passed and the home was cleared out. So from the looks of it, the mailman delivered in 80 years ago and there it sat until just recently.

The box has a contents list on two sides, but several pieces listed are not present. However, there are numerous things not listed present that appear to have been sent home separately. The name Bob is the son and his notes make it evident that the invasion currency was fairly valuable to soldiers. He grabbed a bunch (11 bundles). In total a very unique bring back box that I was very excited to pick up. Rumor has it that more is coming out of this estate, but this is all for now. Best ABN

IMG_1161.JPG

IMG_1159.JPG

IMG_1148 (3).JPG

IMG_1150 (2).JPG

IMG_1151.JPG

IMG_1153.JPG

IMG_1154.JPG

IMG_1155.JPG

IMG_1156.JPG

IMG_1157.JPG

IMG_1158.JPG

USCapturephotos
On 10/12/2023 at 6:21 PM, doyler said:

I have a couple that could be twins to your cap. Found them at a estate auction in the early 90s

I have this exact style of tropical M43 on loan from a vets family right now. Will be using it for my display in my classes soon.

Paul

USCapturephotos

It will be fun to get those tags translated to see if they are aircraft related, radio related or whatever. Congrats on the big find!

Paul

Airborne-Hunter

This next one was found sitting out on a table at the flea market. It wasn't cheap, but it's pretty cool. The sellers told me a story of being at an estate sale and finding three crates. The first one had bamboo fly rods. The second one had bamboo fly rods and they assumed this one had fly rods too, but didn't open it until they had called over their fishing guy. To their surprise when they opened it, they found two swords. The APO address indicates it was mailed from Okinawa. They said it was completely sealed before they opened it indicating that it sat for the last 78 years unopened in a garage until September of 2023. One sword appears to be late war and the other appears to a family blade with a named piece of leather. I haven't translated anything but the writing on the leather seems to be similar, if not identical, to the writing on the box. Which makes me wonder if the swords were shipped from Japan to Okinawa and then an American found before it could be opened by its intended recipient and then sent to California. Towards the name of the vet, someone used a sharpie to cover it up. I haven't a clue as to why, but it is what it is. With a strong light, one can make it out still: Everett R. Clements. The vet ended up in Marysville California where he passed in 2008 at 88. His wife passed in March of this year at 97. Best ABN

IMG_1323.JPG

IMG_1326.JPG

IMG_1327.JPG

IMG_1328.JPG

IMG_1329.JPG

IMG_1330.JPG

IMG_1331.JPG

IMG_1332.JPG

IMG_1333.JPG

IMG_1334.JPG

IMG_1335.JPG

IMG_1336.JPG

IMG_1337.JPG

IMG_1338.JPG

18 minutes ago, Airborne-Hunter said:

This next one was found sitting out on a table at the flea market. It wasn't cheap, but it's pretty cool. The sellers told me a story of being at an estate sale and finding three crates. The first one had bamboo fly rods. The second one had bamboo fly rods and they assumed this one had fly rods too, but didn't open it until they had called over their fishing guy. To their surprise when they opened it, they found two swords. The APO address indicates it was mailed from Okinawa. They said it was completely sealed before they opened it indicating that it sat for the last 78 years unopened in a garage until September of 2023. One sword appears to be late war and the other appears to a family blade with a named piece of leather. I haven't translated anything but the writing on the leather seems to be similar, if not identical, to the writing on the box. Which makes me wonder if the swords were shipped from Japan to Okinawa and then an American found before it could be opened by its intended recipient and then sent to California. Towards the name of the vet, someone used a sharpie to cover it up. I haven't a clue as to why, but it is what it is. With a strong light, one can make it out still: Everett R. Clements. The vet ended up in Marysville California where he passed in 2008 at 88. His wife passed in March of this year at 97. Best ABN

IMG_1323.JPG

IMG_1326.JPG

IMG_1327.JPG

IMG_1328.JPG

IMG_1329.JPG

IMG_1330.JPG

IMG_1331.JPG

IMG_1332.JPG

IMG_1333.JPG

IMG_1334.JPG

IMG_1335.JPG

IMG_1336.JPG

IMG_1337.JPG

IMG_1338.JPG

Dang! I'm going to the wrong sales. 

flyingtigerfan

Hi all,

Rare for me to find a bring back box these days but picked one up the other day.   Shipped home by a Brooklyn NY private with the 386th AAA Battalion.   Many of the German items were on the capture paper.  The family kept the foreign currency.   Small box of insignia etc contained a US paratrooper wing for some reason.    There are letters to the soldier as well from his family.   The badge on the RAD cap is upside down but that’s the way I found it.   Supposedly there are a couple of other German items that were removed by the family, they are looking for them.   Neat Time Capsule.  
-Rob

IMG_7077.jpeg

IMG_7078.jpeg

IMG_7079.jpeg

IMG_7080.jpeg

IMG_7081.jpeg

IMG_7082.jpeg

IMG_7084.jpeg

IMG_7085.jpeg

IMG_7086.jpeg

IMG_7087.jpeg

IMG_7088.jpeg