Time Capsules As Found - The Story of the Bring Back Box

Airborne-Hunter

Airborne-Hunter

75 years ago, as American GI's advanced around the globe they picked up a variety of souvenirs, but as time progresses the era of finding souvenirs in their original state, as they were carried, or as they were shipped home is coming to a close. Therefore, I thought it'd be of interest to document, even showcase, the art of how things were carried or brought home.

I'd like to start this thread off with a German cigar box brought back by Gerald Miller ASN 3 9 3 2 6 5 0 8. This cigar box was found in Oregon which appears to be where Mr. Miller resided and it appears to be what he carried with him while in Europe. It doesn't contain anything particularly rare, but showcases the finds of an average soldier in his travels during the great Crusade and in the manner in which he carried them home.

Please consider posting your own, but please remember this thread is to highlight how things were carried or brought home.

Gerald Miller 1.jpg

gerald miller 2.jpg

gerald miller 3.jpg

gerald miller 4.jpg

USCapturephotos

I'm going to start small....with these two. I have more that I will be able to post later this week. I hope more jump in as I find this idea for a thread really interesting.

Paul

The first is this letter with a Kriegsmarine eagle tucked inside.

IMG_4731.jpg

USCapturephotos

Sadly, I often find the empty ship home boxes at flea markets as the stuff inside is long gone. I still buy the empty boxes when I find them.

Paul

Airborne-Hunter

For a follow up, I'd like to present this chocolates box I found in a basement at an estate sale two years ago. The airplane fabric, the shrapnel and a couple casings are all from WW1. A few of the bullets are from the 1930s and early 40s. I have the name of the family, but not the name of the individual who brought these back, but its as found in November 2018, in a teens or 20s candy box. Best ABN 

IMG_2545.JPG

IMG_2546.JPG

IMG_2547.JPG

IMG_2548.JPG

USCapturephotos
1 minute ago, Airborne-Hunter said:

For a follow up, I'd like to present this chocolates box I found in a basement at an estate sale two years ago. The airplane fabric, the shrapnel and a couple casings are all from WW1. A few of the bullets are from the 1930s and early 40s. I have the name of the family, but not the name of the individual who brought these back, but its as found in November 2018, in a teens or 20s candy box. Best ABN 

IMG_2545.JPG

IMG_2546.JPG

IMG_2547.JPG

IMG_2548.JPG

I love this grouping. I have seen several pieces of airplane fabric from WW1 glued into albums but not a separate piece like this. Thanks for sharing.

Paul

USCapturephotos

This German fuse box was used to ship home two parachutes. I believe they are supply parachutes. I never wanted to pull them out of the box as I don't think I would ever get them back in. This wonderful ship home box was purchased from the family of a member on the forum.

Paul

IMG_4751.jpg

IMG_4752.jpg

IMG_4753.jpg

IMG_4754.jpg

USCapturephotos

This is one of my favorites shipped home from a GI in this well known US medical unit that took part in the liberation of Dachau. I don't know where he shipped this box home from and sadly it was found with no contents. The antique store where I bought it said they got it direct from the family at a yard sale. 

IMG_4759.jpg

IMG_4760.jpg

IMG_4761.jpg

USCapturephotos

Lastly...my most unusual ship home container....giant piece of bamboo from the Philippines. I start my WW2 unit for my high school history classes every year with this one. Students come in and in small groups are asked to come and analyze what this is. Ultimately I reveal the contents...imagine the surprise on this GI's wife when she saw this come sliding out....

Paul

I also purchased this from a forum member quite awhile ago. It's one of my favorites in my collection.

IMG_4755.jpg

IMG_4756.jpg

IMG_4757.jpg

IMG_4758.jpg

suwanneetrader

My Dad did not need a box for this one.  Williamstown was a small Grant Country, KY town just off I75 in the North Central part of the State.  3 restaurants and a poolhall family owned with 2 my Dads family side and 2 my Moms (we moved there while Dad in WW2 so she could work at one and I as a First Grader could hang out in Aunt Verm's restaurant while she worked).  Richard

Dads Coconut he did and mailed from Guam b.JPG

Dads Coconut he did and mailed from Guam c.JPG

Dads Coconut he did and mailed from Guam a.JPG

Dads Coconut he did and mailed from Guam d.JPG

These are all amazing historical pieces, but that coconut Richard has to be one of the coolest! Even though it didn’t contain any bring back souvenirs, it’s a souvenir unto itself and it’s amazing it went through the postal system as a “package” 👍🏼😊

Airborne-Hunter

I'll be digging more stuff out over time, but I have this one quite accessible. I don't know the exact story on this one, but a friend of mine was at an estate sale and found this one buried pretty deep in a closet and I wound up with it. Evidently, I don't think this was the box this stuff was brought home in, but it would appears to be a late 40s/50s child's clothing box likely signifying the growing importance of other things in the vet's life than the mementos contained within. I suspect it was packed away and never opened until around 2012. Best ABN

IMG_2550.JPG

IMG_2551.JPG

IMG_2552 (2).JPG

IMG_2553 (2).JPG

IMG_2554 (2).JPG

IMG_2555 (2).JPG

IMG_2556 (2).JPG

USCapturephotos

Wow. There are some great souvenirs in that box. I also have a uniform removed Herman Goring Division cuff title glued into an album from a US officer in Sicily.

Paul

Not a box, but the envelope tells the history. “Souvenirs collected from War prisoners for cigarettes (close of Tunisian Campaign)”

f658a1a77a24d273c08370101adf3562.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USCapturephotos
15 hours ago, Airborne-Hunter said:

I'll be digging more stuff out over time, but I have this one quite accessible. I don't know the exact story on this one, but a friend of mine was at an estate sale and found this one buried pretty deep in a closet and I wound up with it. Evidently, I don't think this was the box this stuff was brought home in, but it would appears to be a late 40s/50s child's clothing box likely signifying the growing importance of other things in the vet's life than the mementos contained within. I suspect it was packed away and never opened until around 2012. Best ABN

IMG_2550.JPG

IMG_2551.JPG

IMG_2552 (2).JPG

IMG_2553 (2).JPG

IMG_2554 (2).JPG

IMG_2555 (2).JPG

IMG_2556 (2).JPG

I keep looking back at this group. Lots to see. I enjoy seeing the ss pieces and the HG pieces the most. Is that HG collar tab also uniform removed can you tell?

Paul

Very interesting! What are the two badges? I don’t recognize those.
Paul

The metal one is an Italian Air Force cap badge, marked Binda, Milano. I think the cloth badge is for an Italian bustina cap, maybe for a medic, but I’m not sure.

USCapturephotos
23 minutes ago, urbanminer said:

The metal one is an Italian Air Force cap badge, marked Binda, Milano. I think the cloth badge is for an Italian bustina cap, maybe for a medic, but I’m not sure.

Thanks for the info Urbanminer! 

Paul

Armygrandaughter
On 12/29/2020 at 6:58 AM, USCapturephotos said:

Lastly...my most unusual ship home container....giant piece of bamboo from the Philippines. I start my WW2 unit for my high school history classes every year with this one. Students come in and in small groups are asked to come and analyze what this is. Ultimately I reveal the contents...imagine the surprise on this GI's wife when she saw this come sliding out....

Paul

I also purchased this from a forum member quite awhile ago. It's one of my favorites in my collection.

IMG_4755.jpg

IMG_4756.jpg

IMG_4757.jpg

IMG_4758.jpg

You have to be one of the coolest High School History teachers ever! I wish I would've had a history teacher like you in school! Showing your students these  artifacts is brilliant! I'm sure it makes the students more engaged and interested to learn more in your class. 

Kurt Barickman
18 hours ago, Airborne-Hunter said:

IMG_2550.JPG

IMG_2551.JPG

IMG_2552 (2).JPG

IMG_2553 (2).JPG

IMG_2554 (2).JPG

IMG_2555 (2).JPG

IMG_2556 (2).JPG

Now that has some great stuff in that one; SA gorget, NSKK gorget, SS officer boards, HG, etc. Thanks for sharing.

Kurt