Frank I. Lamb, Marine Aviator in Haiti, 1919

patrick_usmc

Hello all! I thought I'd post a grouping I've had for awhile for your enjoyment. This is a group to Frank I. Lamb, who was a pilot with Squadron "E" of the First Marine Aviation Force in Haiti in 1919. While in Haiti, he, with Lawson Sanderson and others, helped to create dive-bombing (his account of that is below).  

He joined the Marine Corps in 1917, and got out in October 1920. After the Marine Corps, it looks like he went into the manufacturing industry, producing equipment for dry cleaning and then, during and after WWII, pistons for engines. He was also a member of the Knights of Columbus. He passed away in 1953. 

The grouping includes his nicely marked flight helmet, facemask, and goggles, along with his wings, sharpshooter badge, and numbered Haitian Campaign Medal and WWI Victory Medal. Also included is a flight logbook with no entries, a Marine Corps embossed wallet, and several photos of Mr. Lamb.

There's a great shot of him in the cockpit of the plane. His goggles are different, but I like to think that the helmet is the same. 

There's also a great deal of paperwork with the grouping, including a bunch of First Marine Aviation Force Veteran's Association materials, and correspondence about that group and Mr. Lamb's exploits in Haiti. There's also a letter with the group from 2001, in which a nursing home caretaker describes how she found these items. Frank Lamb's wife was 102 years old and about to pass away. The caretaker was assigned to clean out her house, found the items, and forwarded them to an interested party for preservation. I'm glad she took the time to do that and ensure these historic items' preservation, rather than throwing them away or something like that. 

Here are some photos of the group. I'm happy to provide more if people would like.

Additionally, today marks sevens years of me being on the forum! I deeply appreciate the knowledge I've gained, and interactions I've had with people on here. It's been a great experience, and I'm grateful for the collective knowledge that you all hold. Plus, it's neat to look at things from your amazing collections. So cheers to seven years of my involvement, and Merry Christmas! 

All the best,

Patrick 

Frank Lamb In Cockpit.jpg

Frank Lamb Helmet 4.jpeg

Interestingly, his awards are pinned on this fabric (they were displayed in this case when I got them). At first I though it was a piece of uniform, but the back appears to be rubberized, or something like that. Now I'm thinking it could be canvas from a plane, but I'm really not sure. It could be a random piece of cloth, but it looks like something intentionally cut and kept, even though it's dirty. 

Frank Lamb Fabric 1.jpeg

Frank Lamb Fabric 2.jpeg

Here's a great letter, in which he describes his actions, and those of Lawson Sanderson against the rebels. Attached is the "Ripley's Believe It or Not" clipping he mentions. Seeing as he mentioned it elsewhere and kept the clipping, it seems he was quite proud of being featured in Ripley's. 

Also interesting to note is that Lawson Sanderson accepted the Japanese surrender of Wake Island while a general in WWII. 

Frank Lamb Letter.jpg

Frank Lamb Ripley's Believe it Or Not.jpg

Here's another letter, and some photos that were sent to his wife by a fellow Marine when he passed away. They were taken in Miami, Fl. 

The letter's details about "Morris, a kid you've probably never heard of", were particularly disturbing, and must have weighed heavily on aircrews. 

Frank Lamb Letter 2.jpg

Frank Lamb Miami Photos.jpeg

His documents were kept together in this See's Candies box. Here's a photo of him later in life, when he worked at the Triplex Corporation, and a letter from another Marine encouraging him to join the First Marine Aviation Force Veteran's Association. There are also some reunion materials and a membership roster of the First Marine Aviation Force. 

Frank Lamb See's Candies Box.jpeg

Frank Lamb Business Portrait.jpg

Frank Lamb Reunion Letter.jpg

FMAF Reunion Material 1.jpeg

Finally, here's his War Service Certificate. Was this actually signed by General LeJeune, or were these duplicated? 

I'm honored to be the caretaker of this grouping. I'll post another little bio of him later, my scan got messed up. Hope you all enjoy! 

Patrick

Frank Lamb War Service Certificate.jpeg

teufelhunde.ret

Incredibly scarce items to a WW1 Marine aviator... so good to a well documented group of this nature preserved intact. Thank you for sharing his history with us!

Thank you very much for posting this, it was a great write up and interesting read. Very rare material. I personally don’t think the piece of cloth material is airplane fabric....doesn’t look like samples I have seen anyway, but there is no doubt it was of some significance to him or the family. Do you think it could be a sample from his flight suit or maybe a flying jacket perhaps? Thanks again for sharing this fascinating material or for working so hard to preserve the history. Kevin

Kurt Barickman

Very nice USMC group with gear, medals and documents. Amazing they all remained together over the decades. Interesting how so many items I have bought from veterans and families came in cigar and candy boxes.

Thanks for sharing.

Kurt

Thanks for the kind words everyone, they mean a good deal. I'm very glad to have a hand in the preservation of this rare group and of Frank Lamb's story. 

Patrick

On 12/26/2020 at 8:26 AM, warguy said:

Thank you very much for posting this, it was a great write up and interesting read. Very rare material. I personally don’t think the piece of cloth material is airplane fabric....doesn’t look like samples I have seen anyway, but there is no doubt it was of some significance to him or the family. Do you think it could be a sample from his flight suit or maybe a flying jacket perhaps? Thanks again for sharing this fascinating material or for working so hard to preserve the history. Kevin

Kevin,

I had that thought too, but I'm unsure what sort of flying suits they wore, and if any of it was cloth (instead of leather). The black coating on the other side seems to be for some sort of insulation, either waterproofing or wind-proofing, so a flying jacket or suit would make sense. Something like that would be stained from use, as this scrap of fabric is. 

Patrick

Patrick, I believe there are many examples of flying jackets in the First World War made of canvas and many flying suits as well, (similar to the WWII RAF sidcot suits). I wouldn’t be surprised in some of these examples might have material similar to the piece in your collection, maybe the reverse treated in this fashion to assist in making it wind and water proof? Regardless, you have a spectacular grouping there, and I am glad you shared it with us. Kevin

14 hours ago, warguy said:

Patrick, I believe there are many examples of flying jackets in the First World War made of canvas and many flying suits as well, (similar to the WWII RAF sidcot suits). I wouldn’t be surprised in some of these examples might have material similar to the piece in your collection, maybe the reverse treated in this fashion to assist in making it wind and water proof? Regardless, you have a spectacular grouping there, and I am glad you shared it with us. Kevin

That's good to know, I imagine that's what it is! It's rather thin, so I imagine it was probably a layer of cloth, either over insulation or just with another piece of cloth. I imagine something like the Sidcot suit would be just what this is from.

Thanks for the suggestion Kevin, and for the kind words to both of you. 

Patrick 

• 3 weeks later...
rathbonemuseum.com

I really enjoyed this post. I really like the "far and away" small operations like this. So many firsts. Thanks.

Tod

• 2 weeks later...