Transitional US GI stateside kit from 1942/43.

cannon jockey

cannon jockey

The idea here was to show what an American GI might have been wearing on guard duty in the states in 1942 or even early 1943.   The new M1 Garand's were all going to front line service troops and the old 1917a1 helmets had not all been replaced by the new M1 helmet and liner.  Everything in the picture is period correct except the cloth bandoleer.  I accidentally grabbed a Garand bandoleer  which shows it contains 8 rounds in Garand en bloc clips.  It should show each pocket to contain 10 rounds of two 5 round stripper clips.   The model 1923 cartridge belt and suspenders are all dated 1942.  Notice that the cartridge belt still has divider straps for the 5 round stripper clips for the older Springfield bolt actions.   Those were eliminated later since they weren't needed for the Garand 8 round clip.

The M1905 bayonet is also dated 1942 and was made by Utica Cutlery.  In fact since these were manufactured with black Bakelite grips instead of wood like the original 1905s, they are sometimes referred to as the M1942.    The new Garand was designed to also mount this same 16 inch bayonet.  However by 1943, the military decided to shorten the length to 10 inches and the new bayonet was designated the M1.   Many of the old M1905/1942 bayonets were sent back to be cut down to the shorter length.  The cut down models can be spotted since the fuller run all the way out to the tip while it does not on the manufactured M1.

The 1903A3 Springfield rifle didn't start production until Dec of 42 so it's a little early, but they continued to be used for stateside training since the new rear aperture sight was similar to the one the GI would later encounter on the M1 Garand.    All of the production of the 1903's had been turned over to Remington and Smith Corona since the Springfield armory was a full capacity with the Garand.    Fortunately, Winchester arms had voluntarily diverted all of their production to the military effort and was also producing the Garand by May of 1941.   

The manuals are also from the early 40's.  The rifle shown was made by Remington and sports what is called a "scant" stock.  This was the military's attempt to modify already produced stocks to have a pistol grip rather than a straight wrist.   It didn't quite qualify as a real pistol grip wrist and thus earned the title of a "scant" stock. 232171037_full-880-87577-for_post_resize1.jpg.8c28c5da355b2d14d296bae696e46b79.jpg 

Cheers

cannon jockey
29 minutes ago, 12thengr said:

Your guard might get thirsty out there patrolling the motor pool, better give him a canteen. One with a metal cap.

If I had to do it over, I would have included a canteen and cover.   However, I took this picture maybe 7 or 8 years ago right after a move and at that point I couldn't lay my hands on half the junk I had packed away in boxes.   I only had a 1943 dated canteen cover and the only canteen I could locate at the time had a plastic cap although the plastic caps were first introduced in 1942.

Being a staff sergeant, this guy would probably rank as sergeant of the guard, and as such he would loafing in the guard house taking it easy with a hot pot of coffee.   That's my story and I sticking to it. 😉

Cheers

Nice photo and explanation of all the items. Good Job!

Thanks for posting it.

Now, where did your guy end up? Time for another photo shoot? :) 

BKW