Does this count as wings?

RickB

Absolutely!

Those are amazing.  Can you tell us more about them?  I have never seen another set quite like them.  Do they appear to be made of perspex?  Is that an actual wing embedded in there or just the impression one (its a little hard to tell from the photos).  Is it a pair?  Does the left grip match the right?

Really great and thanks for sharing!

Chris

The grips are solid "plastic", and I think they must be from WWII, as the Liaison Pilot rating disappeared early in that war.  I believe they are professionally made, with the wings being 3D inletting on the back side of the right grip, only; don't know how anyone "in the field" could mold or carve something like that, to be consistent with the typical sweetheart grips, whittled from solid material?  But, there are no makers marks or dates on them. 

My dad was an Air Force pilot during the Korean War, but I don't know where he got the grips.  

Almost looks like those laser engraved Lucite blocks with a 3D view of the object. If done in the 40's- 50's(?)or any time period, it is outstanding work.  

Airborne-Hunter

If I had to guess, these grips were made in Australia. Here's an example of an Australian made jump wing reverse painted plexiglass. They made alot of Australian/Common Wealth Insignia in this manner as well. Utterly beautiful set. Best ABN

IMG_6779.JPG

On 12/25/2020 at 11:12 AM, Airborne-Hunter said:

If I had to guess, these grips were made in Australia. Here's an example of an Australian made jump wing reverse painted plexiglass. They made alot of Australian/Common Wealth Insignia in this manner as well. Utterly beautiful set. Best ABN

IMG_6779.JPG

Hey ABN, I tried sending you a PM, but looks like your inbox is full?  Got an error stating that you cannot receive messages”.